-4-

-ANAYA CALDWELL-

"Always gotta set the tone

"Always gotta set the tone." I said to myself after I finished lighting the last candle.

I placed the lighter onto my dresser and took a step back so that I could get an overview of the decorated room. I had the rose pedals scattered, candles burning, on the bed sat two boxes of Jordan 1s along with a couple tops from OVO and a bottle of henny along with two perfectly rolled blunts. I could already hear him complaining about me spending money on him, but to be honest; I didn't care. I just wanted him to feel loved. I made sure that my actions always matched up with my words and spoiled him as much as he loved spoiling me.

"Perfect." I smiled, patting myself on the back.

I had gotten dressed in a simple yet cute, knit two-piece set. My hair was straightened to perfection of course with just the right amount of makeup to pull the look together. I had prepared him some ribs, macaroni pie and greens being as all three were his favourite and ordered these red velvet cake squares from Uber eats. Everything now sat on the table, the dishes were washed and I did some extra cleaning around the house for good measure.

Before Dom had left, the basement apartment was still under renovation; he saw some of the process but never the full thing. So, I had to make sure his impression of my cozy little apartment was a good one. Especially since he'd be spending a lot of time over her, as much as I liked Jason and their apartment; mine was just much more organized and cleaner. The whole aura was much different, very peaceful.

I checked the time and sighed, from what I could see the sun was beginning to go down and I hadn't heard a word from him as yet. I just assumed he would be here soon being as Dom never flopped or left me hanging. Sometimes he wasn't the greatest with time, but never did he just not turn up without properly communicating.

I didn't want to nag him or bombard Jason with messages being as he hadn't gotten back to me with the whole phone situation as yet. I just decided to put two and two together in hopes that he got carried away and lost track of the time while trying to catch up with the boys. It happened, so I wasn't tripping.

In the meantime, however, I decided to head upstairs at the sound of my mom's laugh. Normally, I couldn't hear a pin drop from upstairs due to the insulated floors. I had kept my door open this time though, just in case Dom came while I was still setting up, I wanted to make sure I heard him.

Stepping onto the main floor, I kept my door open a tad bit as I walked over to see what she was laughing at. Of course, I wasn't surprised to see an old episode of Friends' playing on the television. "You are something else." I commented, causing my mother along with Yara to look over at me, in her arms she held my sleeping niece.

"Oh wow, you look lovely." Yara smiled, "busy night ahead of you."

"Well y-."

"Don't answer that," my mom pointed, "just because it's happening doesn't mean I condone."