45.

After Amara's conversation with her mother, she went to Queen Ravenna's chambers to inform the older woman of her decision. 

The Queen was delighted and handed her a small gift.

It was a plain gold ring suspended by the delicate chain. There were neat engravings on the surface of the ring but she couldn't read them.

'What is this for?' She asked, examining the gift closely.

'Wear it, Amara,' the Queen ordered instead of answering the question. 

Furrowing her brows, the younger woman repeated her question to which the Queen exhaled loudly before she explained, 'We need to put you on the throne. No one should be able to question it so long as you wear that ring.'

'Why? What's so special about it?' 

'It will signify that you are Damien's betrothed. By law, as long as you are alive, you are the only one who can ascend the throne.'

Amara took some time to process the information. It was, without a doubt, too much for her. How could she fool so many people? How could she cheat the other candidates? 

Shouldn't Damien be the one giving it to her?

It didn't even matter much because of it. 

It was wrong. 

'I know what you're thinking, Amara,' the Queen broke her train of thoughts. The older woman's eyes were downcast. 'But I don't want anyone else in line to the throne. I fear that they might bring no honour to my son's legacy.' 

The young Octavian was shocked to see a lone tear roll down the Queen's cheek as she continued, 'He may have his secrets but he loves us with all his heart.' 

When she turned away, Amara's heart broke a little more. Tears filled her eyes as she tried to hold against the tide of emotions that threatened to break her composure. 

'And I trust no one else with this responsibility.'

'But-' Amara couldn't form words.

'If something were to happen to Damien-'

'NO!' She exclaimed, taking the Queen by surprise.

'Nothing will happen to Damien,' Amara voiced out confidently, 'If I am sure of anything, it is that he will fight with everything he has.'

'Some times what you have isn't enough.'

'It has to be!' She whispered strongly.  'Because I refuse to give up! I will find him and bring him back.  I promise.'

All she received from the Queen was a sad smile. 

She looked down at the gift and realized how badly she had to protect Damien's throne. If she had to go through twisted ways to achieve her goal, so be it. She was not being fair to the others but it had to be done. Everything would go downhill from there. 

No matter the cost

'Fine, I'll be his betrothed.' She clasped the chain around her neck, accepting the gift. 

After that, the Queen explained that her crowning would be a short one- because of the circumstances. There would be no speeches, no rituals, nothing. Amara was fine with that. She  had no need of any of the extravagance.

 After the Queen explained all that was expected of her, she was dismissed. 

The following day, after breakfast, she received yet another gift from the King and Queen- a neat navy blue gown. Amara fell in love with it the moment she unfolded it. Despite the fact that the gown was plain, it excluded an air of magnificence. It had full sleeves and a turtleneck that was so comfortable that she could probably sleep in it.