chapter forty three

I didn't bother arguing with Draco after finding out he'd accidentally hexed Katie Bell, I didn't have the energy and nor did he. We were quite clearly not on good terms as we spent most our time together in silence however I still ached for him whenever we were apart.

It was the night of the Slytherin Christmas party and of course I knew that Draco would not be attending. He headed off to the room of requirement late that night and so I spent my time in Tracey's dorm getting ready for the party.

I wore a green plaid skirt and tights with a cropped black sweater, not feeling like putting in too much effort. I got caught in a daydream about what it would be like if things were normal and Draco was attending the party. How nervous I'd be to see him and how I'd put in effort just for him.

"You ready?" Tracey smirked. She wore a tight black body con dress and completely stole the spotlight from me. I nodded and we made our way down to the common room where the party was already booming. I found a seat in the corner of the room and poured myself a glass of fire whisky, craving any sensation that wasn't this ridiculous feeling of self-pity.

I took a big swig as Tracey, Blaise, Pansy, Crabbe and Goyle all made their way over to me and sat down.

"Where's your boyfriend, Potter?" Pansy sneered at me. "Oh wait- can I even call you Potter?" She continued to pick fun at me.

"Shove off, Parkinson." Tracey stuck up for me however I simply rolled my eyes and didn't respond.

"Actually – what do you go by now?" Crabbe continued to quiz me.

"I haven't thought about it, actually." I replied, taking another swig of my drink.

"Well, it'll be Malfoy one day anyway." Tracey smirked at me before staring right at Pansy who scoffed and waltzed away from the group, causing an eruption of laughter.

The night continued on and a big group of us were now playing truth or dare as I began to feel slightly more drunk however no one risked picking me as I clearly wasn't in the best of moods.

"Goyle, I dare you to make out with Parkinson." Tracey smirked.

"What! No way!" Goyle winced.

"A dare's a dare." Crabbe pushed further as Goyle rolled his eyes. Everyone knew Goyle secretly had a thing for Pansy, he just didn't want to admit it because – well, she's Pansy Parkinson.

"Fine!" He sighed, overdramatic. "Not in front of you toads though." Goyle stood to his feet and Pansy scoffed before following him. Everyone joked and wiggled their eyebrows as they began to exit out of the portrait.

"Okay, Greengrass. Truth or Da- "Blaise began but quickly got cut off by a loud shriek from the entrance of the common room. Pansy and Goyle walked back in followed by a furious looking Snape.

"All of you, upstairs in bed – NOW!" Snape yelled, waltzing into the common room as everyone quickly dispersed. I stood to my feet and let everyone leave before me as I caught a glimpse of Draco stood behind Snape.

Snape was already a very angry and scary looking man however he somehow managed to look 10x scarier in that moment.

When the room was empty, Snape stared me right in the eye as he grabbed Draco's collar and hurled him into the room in front of him.

"What were you thinking, Malfoy!" Snape spat at Draco, both of them then ignored my presence.

"Maybe I did hex that Bell girl, maybe I didn't." Draco shot back carelessly. "What's it to you?"

"I swore to protect you." Snape barked, taking a step forward and grabbing Draco's collar once again. "I made the unbreakable vow."

I then realized what Narcissa meant when she told me not to worry about Draco a few months before.