Chapter Fifteen

Standing outside the room Catherine had been stuck in for the past few hours was Natasha. She was thankful for at least one familiar face. In her hands was what she assumed was the ankle tracker Fury had been talking about. Natasha noticed her eyes had lingered to the device.

"I had one too. Luckily, it goes with everything." She attempted to joke as she knelt down to fasten it around her ankle. "Ready?"

Catherine just nodded. She was still in a daze and she didn't know if she would ever snap out of it. She kept her head down as she followed Natasha out of the building. She was never one to feel so powerless, but she couldn't help it in the moment. She knew Natasha had caught onto her mood as well. Hell, she probably knew mostly what Catherine was going through. The noise outside of the building was unlike any noise she had heard before. Siberia was so quiet. All you could hear was the wind.

New York was filled with the sounds of cars honking, people talking and music. The music was different from the shitty Russian station they would play on the base. It actually made her want to stop and listen, but she didn't. In fact, she wanted silence and to be alone. She climbed into the car that was parked outside of the building.

"You okay?" Natasha asked as she started to drive. "That's probably a stupid question. You're not okay, but I do know kind of what you're going through. I know it sucks and it's probably a little scary, but we all do want to help you."

"It doesn't feel real. How could they lie to me for seventeen years? And then to send me to kill my own brother?" Catherine admitted.

"Because they're horrible, evil people. They manipulated us. They didn't give us a choice. They beat us. Made us do unspeakable things. That's the kind of people they are. You're getting a second chance though. Nothing can change the fact that your parents are dead, but you have your brother now." Natasha tried to make her feel better.

Catherine looked down at her hands where the gold bracelet with her name inscribed on it was. She had almost forgotten about it. She realized she had had a piece of her family with her the entire time. She didn't know who gave it to her, but it still meant more than when Ana gave it to her.

"Have you met my brother?" Catherine asked.

"I haven't. I've seen news footage of him. He seems eccentric, but I guess that happens when you grow up wealthy."

"He's wealthy?"

"Incredibly. Your whole family was from my understanding. I think they're billionaires or something." Natasha told her. "You should have seen Coulson's face when we found out about you. He's a huge Captain America fan and your dad helped create the serum and some weapons for Captain American."

Catherine raised an eyebrow at her. "Captain America?"

"You've got a lot to catch up on. He was the country's first superhero in the 1940s. Your dad had a contract with the Army during World War II and I guess that's how they met. Unfortunately, Captain America died in a plane crash in the 40s." She explained as they pulled up to an apartment building.

Catherine took in her surroundings, partially for her own safety, but also to get a good look. From the outside it just looked like a basic brick building. It was on a not so very busy street. She could see a few places to eat within walking distance. She followed Natasha up a few flights of stairs before they stopped at a door. She inserted a key inside and opened the door. Once the door was opened, she handed Catherine the key and they walked inside.

Catherine assumed that it was just a basic apartment. There was a small hallway to her left that led to a kitchen with an eating area and a living room. There was a door next to the fireplace that led to the only bedroom. She was pleasantly surprised to see that they had given her a room with a balcony. The view was of a small courtyard. It was nicer than anything she had ever had before and it was her's even though she wasn't paying for it. She walked further into the apartment and let out a breath she didn't know she had been holding.