E Pluribus Unum (part ii)

Hey guys, not dead! Sorry for the delay, I meant to update this three days ago as a birthday update but of course not, my lazy ass said no. So here is the chapter now, hope you're ready for this angsty shit, it was a bitch to write....

Enjoy!

———————

The gang gathered around the tv, which El had switched to static. She and Dyl sat directly in front of it, the two of them getting ready to enter the void again; to go into Billy's mind;

To find the source.

While ask was fiddling with her blindfold, Mike took this as an opportunity to talk to Dylan; to have one final attempt in trying to convince him that this might be too dangerous.

"Dyl. El," he spoke in a soft voice. "I know you guys think you have to do this, but you don't."

Behind them, Dylan could sense Max rolling her eyes at Mike's sentiment and suppressed a smile of amusement. It was also clear to him that Mike had noticed her eye roll as well but he ignored it.

Mike bit his lip. "It's just that," he paused, looking over to El, "you've only done this before once. And your mom; she loved you. She wanted you to know what happened."

Dylan looked Mike in the eye. "Billy loves me," he said solemnly, "he'd want me to know what happened to him as well."

Mike sighed. "Yeah, but Dyl his mind, it's sick and diseased," he said pressingly. "The Mind Flayer is in him."

Dylan gave him a dry look. "Really? Hadn't noticed," he said flatly.

Mike closed his eyes, seeming a bit sheepish. "I'm sorry," he mumbled, embarrassed for stating something so obvious, especially to Dylan of all people. "It's just that, he's hurt you once before and I'm—"

"Scared," Dylan finished for him, "scared for me; I know." He gave Mike a somber glance. "But Billy's still in there—trust me, I know. He tried to help me back there, told me to run; but he couldn't keep in control for long." Mike seemed a bit surprised by this news but was still skeptical either way.

Dylan offered him a small smile. "You don't have to worry Mike. We'll be going directly to his mind—his pure mind. He opens up to me and I'll be able to direct myself and El right towards it."

"And he can't hurt us," El added in, shaking her head slightly, "not in there."

"We don't know that," Mike argued, still apprehensive.

Dylan chewed his lip. He looked over to El for a second, wordlessly communicating with her and the girl nodded, focusing back on her blindfold. He then scooted closer to Mike, taking one of his hands into his own.

"Mike," he said in gentle tone, looking deeply into the boy's chocolate brown eyes, "do you trust me with your life?"

Mike frowned, confused by his words. "Why—" he started, but Dylan cut him off.

"Do you?" He asked earnestly.

Mike furrowed his eyebrows but slowly nodded his head. "Of course I do," he told him honestly.

"You sure?"

Mike nodded more vigorously this time. "Yes Dyl, 100%," he said in a firm tone.

Dylan nodding himself. "Okay, then I need you to trust me with my own," he told him prudently. "Okay? Mike, I need you to trust me."

Mike looked at him, his lips parted slightly. He seemed a bit taken aback by Dylan's words, not exactly expecting it. However, he knew he was right; if he trusted Dylan enough to protect him, then theoretically speaking, he shouldn't have a problem with Dylan potentially risking his own.