Chapter 16

My birthday is just around the corner and I can't wait for my dad to get here. He's gonna book a night at a hotel, and then we are gonna go out to dinner and celebrate. I've asked him not to buy me anything, but of course, I know he won't listen. I will much rather have him stay a couple of nights than get an expensive present, but I can't ask him to do that. He can't take that many days off from his job.

"What are you thinking about?" Dimitri whispers into my ear, sending a shiver down my spine. We're currently sitting in class and tuning the teacher out. He's not teaching us anything important, so it doesn't really matter to me.

"My dad's gonna be here in a couple of days. I can't wait to see him again," I whisper back.

Dimitris sends me a smirk, clearly amused by my enthusiasm. "What is the occasion?" He asks me.

"Oh, uhhh... He's coming for my birthday. I'm turning 18 on Tuesday," I tell him, awkwardly.

"Your birthday is in 4 days and you have not told me yet? Were you even planning on telling me?" He asks me now, annoyed.

"I'm sorry. I didn't know it was a big deal," I say, confused as to why he even cares about such a small event.

We don't talk for the rest of the class, so I'm relieved when the professor lets us go. Dimitri and I part our ways, and I quickly make my way back to my dorm. Emily's actually here when I arrive.

"Hiiii," she says and walks over to me and hugs me.

"Hi, to you too," I chuckle as she squeezes the life out of me.

"It's been so long," she whines.

"I know, I know."

We sit down on her bed and talk. She tells me everything about her and Harry. How everything's going with her family and stuff. I tell her about Dimitri and I. Well, I only tell her that we've become friends, not about the kisses and sleepovers. She looks slightly taken aback as I tell her, and I can't help but feel her closing off a little. Did she not want me to befriend Dimitri? I shake the ridiculous thought out of my head, as we continue talking. Soon the sun has gone down, and the moon has taken over its spot. Personally, I like the moon better.

"Oh, I have to go. Harry's waiting outside," she tells me suddenly and waves goodbye, before heading out the door.

"See ya," I mutter to the closed door.

I spent the rest of my evening watching Netflix and catching up on some studying. I go to sleep at around 2 AM, but it's Friday. That means I can sleep in tomorrow.

*****

Knock! Knock! Knock!

Who the hell are knocking on my door at 9 AM on a Saturday?! I groggily get up and open the door. I can imagine my hair standing in every direction, and my clothes all wrinkly.

"What do you want, Dimitri?" I ask him, yawning.

"I'm buying breakfast," he says.

I roll my eyes and jump back into bed, leaving the door open for him. I've kinda gotten used to his unannounced showings.

"I'm not saying 'Happy Birthday' until your actual birthday. It's a Russian tradition; it brings bad luck if we celebrate or do anything before the actual birthdate. That is why we're just going for ordinary breakfast and not to celebrate you," he explains. I get what he's trying to say, but I honestly just want to go back to sleep. That is apparently not on Dimitri's mind, because I'm scooped out of my bed and am standing on the ground. I pout silently up at him, and he smirks down at me.