Chapter 18

---- Hayden's P.O.V.----

I heard a splash behind me and turned around to find Y/N gone. I ran back to where she was and saw her laying underwater. 

"Shit," I mumbled. 

I grabbed her body and lifted her out of the water, making sure her nose and mouth were free to breathe. I crouched down and picked her up, carrying her onto the shore near our stuff. I sat down and laid her head in my lap, watching for any signs of resurrection. I heard her breathing gently, which was relieving. I definitely couldn't bring her back home because I wasn't in the mood to be reprimanded by her supervisor. And I had a strong feeling he would be pissed.

I wasn't sure if I should just wait for her to wake up or intervene. I stared at her for awhile then got too impatient. I put my hand on her cheek and focused my breathing, trying to wake her up. I could feel my energy entering her and the warmth on her cheek. 

----Your P.O.V------

I woke up with a jolt and my eyes shot open. I saw Hayden's glowing gold eyes staring back at me. I turned onto my side and coughed up some water, then rolled onto my back again. I noticed I was laying in his lap and my body felt warm. 

I sat up quickly and turned to look at him, his eyes green now. 

"Wh-what happened?" I asked. 

"You passed out in the water. I was your lifeguard," he said with a wink. 

I was breathing quickly as I felt the water dripping down my face and hair. 

"Oh. What did you do?" 

"Just helped you wake up a little faster."

"Well, thank you." I stood up, attempting to brush off the sand that was clinging to my soaked clothing. I felt a bit more energized than I had before. He stood up as well, tossing his shirt over his shoulder without putting it on. He looked a little more sluggish than he was before I passed out. 

"You okay?" I asked. 

"Yeah, just a little drained from waking you up, that's all."

I nodded and we started walking back in silence. 

After what felt like years of agony, we arrived back at Jack's house. I knocked but wasn't sure why since I lived there. We waited for a few moments until Jack appeared. He was wearing his mask and he seemed a little tense. Without needing to see his eyes, I could feel Jack's gaze on Hayden's lack of a shirt. Jack crossed his arms and leaned against the doorframe. 

"Why are you soaking wet?" Jack asked, mostly directed at him. 

I looked to Hayden for an answer, but I didn't know what he wanted to say. 

"Just went for a swim," Hayden responded. The tension between the two was so heavy. I shifted my weight uncomfortably. Jack looked to me for the truth. 

"We were in the water, but I got dizzy and kinda passed out underwater... but he got me out, so it's okay..." I felt really weird about all this. Hayden didn't seem to mind that I told the truth. Jack took off his mask and tossed it to the side. I saw that his jaw was clenched and he glared at Hayden. 

"Why'd she get dizzy, mate?" Jack asked in a biting tone. 

"Just overworked herself. She's fine," Hayden responded, somewhat unbothered. Jack was getting aggravated and not hiding it. 

"You look beautiful when you're sleeping, by the way," Hayden said seductively while he looked at me, winking after he said it. I froze, knowing he only said it to make Jack mad. I was afraid of what Jack would do. By the time my gaze made it to Jack, his fist was already making contact with Hayden's face. My eyes widened and I rushed to stand between the two.