Omashu

Iroh's POV
I had a plan, once the dress was ready I'd gift it to her and organise a sunset picnic by the stream where we met, I'd bring fire lilies and water lilies... it would be perfect. I'd prepare all of the food myself and- it was just going to be amazing.

I kept the betrothal necklace in my pocket at all times until the day that I'd propose, that was she wouldn't find it, it wouldn't be stolen and I wouldn't lose it.

The morning that I received word from the tailor that the dress that I had approved was ready, I had it sent to her room with a note asking her to meet me by the stream before sunset.

I had spent all day preparing the food for our picnic and picked the lilies myself, I was about to leave the palace to set up and my heart was pounding out of my chest. As I got to the palace doors I was stopped by a messenger,

"General Iroh, I am so sorry to intrude on your week off but there's an emergency- you and your troops are needed in the Earth Kingdom."

I huffed,

"Really? Now?"

"It's a matter of upmost importance, your highness."

I folded my arms and told the messenger to send word to my soldiers, I changed into my uniform and knocked on Y/N's bedroom door,

"Hey, you. It seems that our date will have to be postponed, we're needed in the Earth Kingdom."

She turned to face me and sighed,

"Already? Shame I was just about to get dressed."

She paced over to me and kissed my cheek,

"Thank you for the beautiful dress by the way, you're so sweet."

I smiled but then sighed,

"I can't believe we've barely been back for a few weeks and we're already being called out to the Earth Kingdom. Isn't that supposed to be Earth Kingdom business? Why are the United Republic involving us in this?"

Y/N smiled at me and adjusted my collar,

"I don't know... but I'm not complaining that I get to see you in your uniform again."

I felt a blush dust over my cheeks before I cleared my throat,

"Right, well, you quickly get yourself ready, I'll wait and we'll make our way to the docks together?"

She nodded before I placed a quick kiss on her cheek as she ran over to her wardrobe and grabbing her uniform, I left the room and waited for her downstairs.

She arrived with her backpack, in her uniform,

"Okay, lets go then, general."

I held out my arm to her and she linked hers into mine.

We arrived at the docks and Y/N helped me sort every soldier into the correct ships and relayed my orders. Of course, Y/N would be staying with me, not only because she was my girlfriend, but because she was my right-hand 'man', I don't know what I'd do without her.

Once everyone was settled in and we had set off, Y/N and I sat beside each other hanging our feet over the ocean,

"I can't believe that this has always been your life, it's so exciting."

I sighed,

"It's exciting until you have something to lose."

I placed my hand on hers.

She shyly giggled,

"Well, if you're referring to me, then you have nothing to worry about. I learned from the best there is!"