Chapter 26

Surprisingly, Kylie coughed softly this time.

Mostly because the scene unfolding in front of her was too endearing and adorable and she was too transfixed by the sudden shift in their behaviour that she forgot to be dramatic.

What did she miss in the past days?

Hearing Kylie's little cough, Sean and Kaycee immediately distangled themselves from each other with bright red faces.

While Kaycee thought it was the drugs and medicines responsible for her act, Sean blamed his anxiety and separation syndrome.

"So..." Kylie started, looking at the two flushed adults. "...should I call Serris and Sarah?"

"They're here?!" Kaycee jumped in her seat, excitement laced in her voice.

Over the past few months, being with them all the time, especially since Sean would go on random visits to his office for a meeting or deal, made her grew really close to the sisters. They were almost like her own sisters at this point, with their occasional teasings.

"Hey! Hey, easy on the excitement there buddy. I'm still your real sister. You should be excited to meet me." Kylie pointed an  accusing finger in her direction.

Kaycee dramatically rolled her eyes. "Oh, shut up. Go call them."

Sean was trying his level best to hold his giggle in, but their banter reminded him so much of him and his sisters and he wondered if this is how they looked like to the others watching them.

"You're lucky you're in the hospital. Otherwise I would've shown you."

"Yeah, yeah whatever."

Kylie squinted at her. Then she slowly started walking sideways, all the while squinting at her suspiciously.

Kaycee could only shake her head at Kylie's overdramatic possesiveness.

Finally she walked out of the room, telling them to not miss her much.

Sean and Kaycee both rolled their eyes at her.

It was just the two of them agaim and Kaycee could feel the awkward air about to set in again. She busied herself with the sheets of her hospital bed, moving them around, to distract her mind from Sean's stare.

He's probably going to say something, is what Kaycee thought but let out a huff of breath when he didn't.

He just continued staring at her.

But she didn't know he was trying to understand something.

"Kaycee?"

"Hmm?" She didn't lift her head, afraid he would see her blushing.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Shoot."

"Uhhh...." Clearing his throat, he fiddled with his shirt before opening his mouth again. He was clearly uncomfortable or afraid to ask the question.

"You....you said you had nightmares. Why?"

Sean was expecting her to become uncomfortable, avoid eye contact or tell him that she didn't want to talk about it. Sean would've understood. He wouldn't do something that she wasn't comfortable with sharing.

But surprisingly Kaycee raised her head slightly and gave him a sad smile. Breaking eye contact she looked to the ceiling and took a deep breath.