Chapter 29

So.....

I'm not dead....

If you don't remember the last part, you can go and read the last chapter again.

Actually no don't.... I'm pretty sure you remember.

_

Two days.

Two days had passed by.

The Lew house has never been so silent.  So gloomy. So despondent.

Everything felt foggy and unclear. At least to Sean. He could barely register what he's doing or where he's going these days. And he was pretty assured that if it was not for Kaycee, the rest of his family would've starved to death.

She had basically taken on the job to attend to every single member since they barely refused to come out of their rooms now. The only person who would come out occasionally to help her would be Sarah. Out of the three Lew siblings she was the only one holding up the best. Or least better than Serris and Sean. While Serris rarely left her room, Sean was just emotionless. It was like he had shut down his emotions.

And that scared Kaycee.

Kyle refused to leave Serris so he was a part of the family too now, living with her in her room. Besides he was the only one who could calm her down during the night.

Maybe it had something to do with her being the eldest, Kaycee had noticed this behaviour with her sister too, but Sarah seemed the most normal. As normal as you could expect a girl who had just lost her father would be like. But she tried so hard to smile whenever she would come down to help Kaycee. It wasn't a proper smile. But Kaycee didn't complain. It was enough.

She sighed loudly as the last plate was finally in place.

Gathering up her courage, she bravely trudged up the stairs.

Cheuk's old room felt like an forbidden room of hurt and emotions. Everytime anyone walked past it, the atmosphere and aura felt different in the air. Or maybe it was their longing speaking.

She took a deep shaky breath in when she was crossing his room.

She couldn't explain the hole in her chest. She didn't really have a solid reason for it either. But Cheuk had become more of a father figure for her in less than 4 months than her own father had ever been or ever will be. Now that she can't see him or hear him, she felt demotivated. The only thing pushing her through the days was her concern and love for the Lew family which overpowered her emptiness and grief.

"Sean?"

Sean immediately tore his eyes away from the family photo he was staring at and averted his eyes to look outside the window. He knew it was her.

She was probably the only one still speaking and keeping the family together.

"Are you ready?"

Sean shook his head lightly, his gaze still fixed on the branch of a tree outside his window.

Kaycee took a deep breath. Her heart was pounding but no one needed to know that. She knew she could do this.

Her eyes briefly glanced over Sean's black suit. Kaycee's would've found him really appealing if only he didn't look this.... empty? Numb? Emotionless.

Out of all of them, Sean had been the one who cried the least. He just stopped talking or doing anything. She could comfort the others and try to soothe them while they were crying since they would tell her whatever they're feeling while sobbing but how do you console a person who had barely spoken four words the last five days?