Chapter 4: I am forced to help a god

The sky was painted with the pink and orange tinges of the early morning when I woke up.

I got out of bed and started to make my way to the kitchen, my stomach moaning about the lack of food.

Hermes sat at the table, calmly sipping a cup of tea and looking through the books and papers that were spread all over the table from one of my failed study sessions.

"What are you doing here?" I hissed.

"Your presence is required at Olympus," he said, getting up and brushing his hands on his jeans, not seeming to care about the fact that he had just broken into my apartment.

"Better get going," he added.

I sighed.

"Whatever."

***

"600th floor," I said to the security guard.

"No such thing," he replied, drowsily, looking past me and probably daydreaming about his bed.

Seriously, didn't the guy recognize me by now?

"I have a appointment," I said and his eyes widened as he reluctantly pulled out the elevator card.

I took a deep breath, stepped in the elevator, and squeezed my eyes shut, nails digging into my palm, until I heard the soft ding that informed me of my arrival.

***

My friends were standing in the Hall of the gods, looking both slightly bored and slightly nervous. Probably more bored though.

Nico caught my eye and gave me a knowing nod, somehow transmitting comfort and sympathy to me through his gaze. Hades must have told him.

"Ah, Perseus, you have decided come to join us after all," Zeus said, the edges of a smirk playing at his mouth.

"Brother," Poseidon warned, his tone careful.

"Well, since our little hero," he spat the word, "has arrived late, we must inform him of the news."

Athena nodded, sternly.
"It seems that you have quite a strong influence on your friends, and they have declined immortality, requesting for other wishes instead."

She shot a calculated glare and Annabeth, who only ignored her.

As soon as Athena stopped talking, Annabeth ran up to me and gave me a huge hug.

"I did it, Seaweed," she said,"I overcame my hubris."

I picked her up and span her around as she giggled.

I pecked her on the lips and she smiled, completely content in that moment.

"Annabeth," Athena called and my wonderful, wonderful girlfriend sighed, shooting me a apologetic look as she walked towards her mother.

I looked down at the skyline of Manhattan, marvelling at how small everything looked from a distance. The intricate buildings and cement seemed like a little child's play city, something Annabeth would build out of Lego, or something.

Nico snuck up on me, walking out of a shadow, like a particularly stealthy cat.

"So, godhood, huh?"

I looked away, not meeting his eyes.
"Percy, there's nothing to be ashamed about," he said, his tone surprisingly gentle.

"Nothing?! I'd do anything just to be normal and be left alone! Is that too much to ask?!"

Nico didn't answer, instead looking down at the City. I wondered if he was thinking the same things I was, about lost chances, things I wish I could change.