Distant Utopia

Fear was primal.

If one knew what it was to face against fear incarnate, then surely it had to be similar to the unknown man in front of them.

Or if he could still be even called a man.

Valerie saw nothing but an abomination. A large, humanoid being of bony skin grotesquely with hypnotizing tentacles waving around the entity.

She had never felt so small, so much fear and despair. She couldn't tear her eyes away nor move her body to turn tail and run away.

H-how? How were they even supposed to contend against this adversary?

Simple.

They couldn't.

/-/

Edward Burdo could say he lived a luxurious life. A life of money, slaves, pillaging, sex, and bloody victories, what more could you want?

He had been the one to spearhead this operation of theirs. Disguise as weary, poor travelers and suck up to the naive villagers and boom, kill the leaders of the village and take control of everything.

It had worked all the time. Some harder than others such as faunus villages but in the end, they got some really good faunus women to play with. It was life.

But now?

Now, everything had gone to hell.

W-what is this shit!? 

It wasn't supposed to be like this. It wasn't supposed to end like this!

He tried to grip the daggers but the acidic bile in his stomach rose up his throat and filled his mouth. The whimpering and moaning of scratched steel rung through his mind, the abnormality of eldritch truth tearing through his human psyche.

At this point, he had long grown numb to everything else, not even the puddle of stinking urine leaking forth from his pants.

Images flashed through his head. Streets of blood, infinite number of stars, and the grotesque vision of ravenous, gaping maws and swirling tentacles of slimy, inhuman skin and dead tree bark.

"Step beyond the line and you die."

Ah.

The hunter's boot was in front of his eyes. But in his eyes, all he saw were eyes.

The eyes of the vacuous spider lurking beneath the lake.