[40] Eternity

I was drowning in exhaustion.

My bones were screaming for mercy. Muscles were aching for massage. Nerves were begging for a hot bath.

Mind was throbbing for peace.

But here I was, standing ahead of the crowd, hand in hand beside Karam, with our gazes at the front.

Fire torches had created the golden hue all around. The commons people including the wolves and Lycans had come to witness the acceptance of the new addition in the royal family. Yet neither I could catch Chelsea anywhere, nor Joran and his sons.

Each member of Karam's family was present here. Some had poker faces on while some were smirking. Some were staring at nothing while some were fascinated.

The Severans had bathed and dressed up in their homely attires now. Noira's long braid was back on her shoulder while Alma had rich kohl in her eyes. Emily had her leather boots belted up while Stella's brown dress looked fine. Reveka had her blank eyes on the ground all the time.

I couldn't even take a long bath because of the evening turning darker sooner than I had thought. Despite being upset and angry, Amelia managed to send a plain blue dress for me and a black little cloak for Keev. There were a little tunic and a fabric pyjama kind of thing too.

And when I dressed Keev up in those clothes with combing his hair neat. He would be a heartbreaker, I knew.

He was all red from the continuous excitement he had by being surrounded by so many people. The noise had made him all fascinated and curious. His eyes were round and big tonight.

Karam was already out with the brothers, freshly bathed and dressed in his usual faded colors. When Keev and I left the room, he was already there in front of the crowd waiting for me to approach. A path was created for us to wait as Barald, the Beta took Keev's hand with no expressions on his face and led his small steps by walking towards the Alpha and Luna standing at the front.

Beside them, on the ground, was a big iron bowl full of fire. The Aunts would chant hymns one by one and touch a twig to Keev's forehead before throwing it in the fire.

They did it six to seven times before asking for the bowl of the blood.

Just as the words reached my eats, my guts collected inside and stomach churned crazily. I was prepared to see rituals and taking blessings but not visit some dark cult doing practises.

Karam slid his hand into mine and squeezed it tight. I kept gulping hard to skip overthinking.

Valeria, for the first time, I saw her doing her job as a Beta. She came from the side with the bowl in her hand was filled the liquid that looked so rich.

Goosebumps risen on my arms as the members of the family started chanting some hymns. The Aunts dipped their fingers in the bowl and bent down in front of Keev.

I could see his right profile while metallic taste was already mixing with the air.

One by one, they made rays of blood on his cheeks, giving him the creepiest expressions they could.

The crowd behind me starting singing a straight chorus like a rehearsed choir, making it feel like a background music for the chantings done by the family members.

Keev was standing quiet and lost, staring at the ladies, eventually smiling when they drew the rays on his forehead and neck.

I blinked in slight terror as the Aunts moved back and let Amelia come ahead.

She gave us one glance of extreme blankness and then, looked down at Keev. He had craned his neck to look up at her, mouth all parted in curiosity.