x x x i .

"Are Thanksgiving leftovers okay?"

Marie leaned over and peaked into Nathaniel's fridge from the barstool at his kitchen island.

"Mmm, yes please," Marie replied, noticing containers of greens and turkey stuffing.

Nathaniel pulled out a few packed dishes, placing them on the counter. Marie felt odd just sitting there doing nothing. She attempted to hop off her stool to help out...

"Sit. I'll take care of it," Nathaniel ordered.

Marie pouted, returning to her position. He then handed Marie a glass bowl of what looked like the most luxurious wild rice pilaf she had ever seen that was peppered with what looked like hot seasoning.

"That's all for you. Straight from my mother's kitchen."

Taking a fork and sampling the food, Marie's eyes almost rolled to the back of her head. "Well, tell your mom she's an excellent cook."

Nathaniel smiled and plated a significant amount of food for himself. Marie couldn't help but notice the fact that she had put much more on her own plate than him.

Oops.

Marie couldn't care less and neither did Nathaniel as he watched the ravenous girl down the food like a pro.

Realizing how she looked, Marie stifled a giggle.

Conversation flowed easily between the two lovebirds. "I've noticed that you don't go by Nathan or Nate?"

"Nope," Nathaniel answered. "My parents were adamant about keeping the meaning of my name. My mother is quite close to her faith - so my name means 'gift of God'."

A pause of silence passed before the two broke out into humorous grins, aware of the peculiar and slightly sacrilegious relationship going on between the two.

"Can I ask some personal questions?" Marie prodded sweetly. She had always been curious about the professor, who never indulged in his personal life unless prompted.

"Out of every part of our relationship, you think I'm drawing the line at nosy questions?" Nathaniel remarked back. "Ask anything, Marie."

"Okay - are you religious?"

"I consider myself theist."

"Political affiliation?"

"My parents taught me tolerance and basic human decency... interracial marriages like their's were looked down upon in their time."

"Do you want to get married?"

"At some point, yes. I'm in no rush. My mother on the other hand..."

"Do you want kids?"

Now Nathaniel paused.

Marie followed up quietly. "Too personal?"

The professor shook his head. "No... I just don't like my answer."

"It's okay if it's no," Marie replied concernedly.

"I don't want kids because I know I won't be able to give them much time, given how I approach work and my career. I'm not going to be that kind of father... or husband for that matter."

Marie didn't know how to respond, staying silent. She could tell Nathaniel was worried about his response and how she was going to respond...

"Not a very romantic answer, I know."

This time, Marie did have a response. "I want honesty, not romance."

Nathaniel gave a solemn smile.