13

~ phoenix ~

There was a knock on the door shortly after he left.

I opened it and found Mila's pretty face smiling at me. I grinned back at her and let her in. I could use a girl's company now. Despite the smile, the blankness in her eyes created unease in the pit of my stomach.

"Hello, Phoenix," she greeted politely, "how has your morning been?"

"Ugh, one word: Ilya," I groaned.

"Excuse me?" she said, frowning at me.

It was the first time I saw something besides emptiness in her eyes. It was something dark. Something unsettling.

"I-it was just a joke," I said, with a forced smile.

"Ah, a joke," she repeated, looking peaceful once again.

Okay....

She placed a few things in the bed. I spied a set of clothes.

"I wasn't sure if you preferred tampons or pads, but I brought both for you," she smiled.

"I- er thanks." I didn't have the nerve to tell her I was lying about my period to Ilya. Would she freak out?

Her gaze fell from my face to the shirt I was wearing. Something changed in her expression again.

"Here," she said, "I brought some clothes for you. You can take that off, here let me help you."

All of a sudden, she came forward and began unbuttoning the shirt.

Shocked and embarrassed, I jumped out of her reach. "N-no it's fine, I got it," I stammered but her eyes were still transfixed on my body.

Freaked out, I grabbed the jeans and t-shirt that she brought and scurried into the bathroom. I shrugged off the shirt and quickly pulled on the jeans. Although the top was a little tight around my bust, it fit well, almost like a crop top. I decided I'd wear the shirt over because it was suddenly chilly.

When I opened the door, Mila was kneeling on the bed.

"Um what are you doing?" I asked, hesitantly.

She didn't even flinch. "Oh, I was going to change the sheets in case you dirtied them," she stated serenely, "because of your period."

Wasn't she a doctor? I was pretty sure this place had maids... "I didn't."

"Oh." She rose from her position and came towards me. She took my hand in hers and squeezed. "It was nice seeing you, Phoenix. Goodbye."

I muttered a farewell and shook her hands off mine as she wasn't letting go. As she left, her eyes lingered for a moment in my body.

When the door closed behind her, I released a sigh of relief. Instantly, guilt washed over me. The poor girl had been through so much. I couldn't blame her for the damage inflicted on her mental health. I wasn't cruel. I vowed during my time being here, I'd try and ease her pain. I figured she could use a friend, a shoulder to cry on. This prison didn't seem to offer that. She must have a storm of emotions bottled up.

Looking around the room, I found the remote to the TV and switched it on. I flicked through dozens of channels, finding nothing I could understand. Then, I figured how to open up Netflix. Wow, the idiot didn't have a Netflix account. I typed my own email in and urged my brain to remember the password I'd set years ago. Finally, an idea popped up and I entered tastetherainbow. Yes! I was logged in!

I fell back onto the bed, after settling on 'Project Power'. I loved a good action film and this was new. I almost cackled at the thought that recently, my life had become one. Whatever. I just sat back and watched whilst Jamie Fox stole the show.

It was reaching the climax when the door slammed open. Ilya stood, looking moody as ever in his black suit. His jacket hung carelessly on his arms and the top button of his button down was open, revealing swirling lines of ink.

After a glare in his direction, my eyes returned to the screen.

The damn rude bastard strolled around the room, blocking my view several times. Then, he dared to plop on the bed in front of me.

"What are you doing?" I hissed, urging him out of the way.

"Shut up, сука," he muttered, staring down at his phone. All of a sudden, he rose and pulled out a large suitcase.

Groaning, I just switched the TV off, knowing I could no longer watch it in peace.

"Are you taking me back to Chicago?" I asked eagerly. And though I was almost sure what the answer would be, there was no denying the bright hope in my eyes.

Ilya didn't even bother to reply. Instead, he looked up at me, wearing the most intense deadpan expression I'd ever seen. The stab of disappointment I felt was ridiculous. I already knew his damn answer.

Frowning, I turned away from him.

What happened to my best friends? What would my parents be thinking? And my grandparents? Would I ever get to know what their surprise was? Swallowing a painful lump in my throat, I didn't bother to turn around when I heard him call my name.

"We're leaving tonight."

Suddenly, my ears perked up. "What?"

He looked impatiently at me. "I said," he gritted, "we're leaving for Poland tonight."

Poland? No, it couldn't be. Was he going after my Babs and Dza? "W-what? Why?"

"I thought you'd be glad, сука," he mused, "you have family there, don't you?"

"N-no..." I lied.

"What did I say about lying, Phoenix?" he warned. "And no, I'm not after your family. I have important business there."

"What business?" I fired at him, sceptically.

He looked stuck for the smallest fraction of a second, unsure. He cleared his throat. "I have some asssets there, hotels, casinos..."

I narrowed my eyes sceptically at him and raised a brow. "Really?"

Unexpectedly, the bipolar bastard's face morphed into anger. "Yes. Stop asking useless questions. Don't forget who you are here, сука."

I laughed humourlessly. "But I don't know who I am, here, Ilya. Ever since you forced me here, it's just been lies and threats and more lies, hasn't it? Not that you'd care, but I have a feeling-"

My emotionless eyes rose to meet his.

"-that you know even less than I do."

𝑥𝑜
𝖗𝖔𝖘𝖆𝖛𝖎