{CHAPTER 10}

°

°

ONCE DROGON'S JAWS CLOSED OVER SMAUG'S THROAT THE OTHER DRAGON ROARED IN EXTREME PAIN. The sound he made would carry on for miles, echoing over the Long Lake and across Laketown. Smaug started to twist and turn, doing his best to be rid of Drogon who was doing his best to keep his grip and tighten it over Smaug's throat. Though even if Drogon's razor sharp teeth could cut through almost anything, Rhaenyra remembered what Gandalf had once told her about Smaug's scales. How they were harder than iron and close to unbreakable by normal means. 

Eventually Drogon's grip on Smaug proved too weak as his teeth couldn't bully break the iron and jeweled encrusted scales and Smaug's twisting and turning proved too much. As Smaug pulled away from Drogon with a rumbling growl Rhaenyra caught a glimpse of his neck where Drogon had bitten him. His longest and sharpest teeth had managed to break through and thick drips of crimson blood poured from the wounds, but it was not fatal. 

Drogon responded in kind to Smaug's growl, roaring back at the other dragon in defiance, the  pair of them hovering high up in the air above the small town made completely of wood and now completely aflame. Thunder rolled off their wings and the dark night sky was not so dark anymore, the city having become a giant bonfire, lit with bright yellow and orange flames, the screams of men, women and children reached Rhaenyra even up in the air. 

She couldn't take Smaug to battle above the village, if either of them fell it would only cause more damage. Drogon was of the same mind as her and when Smaug lashed out, trying to catch Drogon with a powerful bite, the Black Dragon took off, swiftly flying away with Smaug giving chase. 

"You can't kill me!" Smaug yelled out after them, his voice booming across the lake, "I am fire! I am death!"

Drogon shrieked in anger after hearing Smaug's words, flying across the lake just above the water surface, hastily approaching the other side where the ruins of what once was a city of modest size, and behind it stood a single mountain. Rhaenyra glanced over her shoulder and saw that Smaug was diving down at her and Drogon at a frightening speed. Knowing that only her and Drogon could fully understand the tongue of High Valyrian she loudly, over the sounds of roars and thunderous wings, commanded Drogon to hurry, to fly away from his current path. Just before Smaug's mouth would have closed itself over one of Drogon's wings he veered left and pushed himself upwards into the air, letting out a distressed call from almost being caught by the other dragon. 

Smaug wasn't so lucky and he wasn't ready to change course so suddenly and he crashed into the water, gliding up on the lake shores. Smaug must have landed oddly on his wing for he momentarily halted his chase of Drogon to check on his left wing. 

Drogon turned in the air, landing a bit away from Smaug on the very top of a small hill close to the lake. Smaug remained on the ground and didn't try to attack straight away, his orange eyes drilling into Drogon's red pair as the Winged Shadow slowly and carefully crawled down the hill towards Smaug.