4

"Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better."
- Maya Angelou

~Aurora's Pov~

The deer that walker attacked was one that Daryl Dixon was hunting. He's Merle's younger brother and he found out what happened. How my dad left him handcuffed to a roof in the city and T-Dog dropped the key in a drain. My dad wanted to go back to get him. He said he dropped a bag of guns he wanted to get too. Glenn, Dad, Daryl and T-Dog were going.

"You went through hell to find us. You just got here and you're gonna turn around and leave?" Mom asked looking at him. "Dad, I don't want you to go." Carl said looking at him. I didn't want him to leave either, "To hell with the guns. Shane is right. Merle Dixon?" Mom asked trying to get him to stay back, Shane was trying to get dad to stay too. "He's not worth one of your lives, even with guns thrown in." Mom said standing up. Dad walked over to us, "Tell me. Make me understand." Mom said. "I owe a debt to a man I met and his little boy." Dad said standing in front of her. I looked at both of them, Carl looked over to me. "He's gonna go?" he whispered. I looked over to him. "I don't know.." I said softly and we looked back at them. Mom turned around and pointed at Carl for a second. "Lori if they hadn't taken me in, I'd have died." Dad said.

I looked over to Shane, He lied to us about dad being dead and now I understand why. He wanted to be with mom. "It's because of them that I made it back to you at all." Dad said. Shane looked over to me feeling my eyes on him. "They said they'd follow me to Atlanta. They'll walk into the same trap I did if I don't warn him." Dad said, trying to convince mom to let him go. Shane looked down at the floor slightly and I looked away too. "What's stopping you?" Mom asked. "The Walkie-Talkie, the one in the bag I dropped. He's got the other one. Our plan was to connect when they got closer." Dad said.

"Is it our walkies?" Shane asked. "Yeah." Dad responded. "So use the C.B. What's wrong with that?" Andrea asked, jumping into the conversation. "The C.B's fine. It's the walkies that suck to crap. They date back to the 70's, don't match any other bandwidth. Not even the scanners in our cars." Shane responded. "I need that bag.." Dad said to mom then walked away. He came over to me and Carl and squatted down in front of us. "Okay?" He asked looking at Carl. Carl looked at the floor then over to me, in a way looking for approval from me. I looked at him and put a hand on his back. He looked back at dad and nodded a bit. He put a hand on Carl's head then looked at me. I looked at him too and sighed not wanting him to leave.

I looked slightly down at the dirt and licked my lips. "Aurora." He said and scooted over so he was in front of me. He held my hands, not taking his eyes off me. "Hey." he whispered. I looked up at him. I nodded slightly, "Okay.." I whispered, "Alright." he said and put a hand on my cheek. He leaned in and kissed my forehead. I closed my eyes and he pulled away, putting his hand on my shoulder and rubbing it a bit. We let go of our hands and he stood up straight walking away from us. He went to the rest and they started getting their things ready.

~Later on that same night~

"Where are you going?" Andrea asked as her sister Amy got up from her seat. They caught some fish earlier so that's what we were having for dinner tonight. "I have to pee." Amy said looking down at her. "Jeez, you try to be discreet around here." She said, We laughed at her response. She walked away from us and went to Dale's RV. I ripped off another piece of fish and ate it, I haven't had fish in a really long time. I'm happy we had food tonight. "We're out of toilet paper?" Amy called out. I felt chills all over my body once I heard screams. I looked up quickly to see a walker biting Amy's arm and others coming into the camp. I gasped and got up quickly, dropping my plate. I pulled Carl up and held him close to me as he started crying and shaking.

People started screaming as we saw more and more walkers coming into camp. "Mom!" I said feeling my heart race. She came to me quickly and pulled us into her. "Lori get them down!" Shane called out. "Down- Down get down.!" Mom said and pulled us down. "Mom-!" I said as Carl kept crying. People started shooting their guns, other people screamed as Walkers got to them. "I'm right here- i'm right here." Mom said putting her hands on both our heads. "Shane what do we do?!" Mom called out. "Follow me!" He called out. We got up. "No!" Carl cried hugging me tighter. "Don't look." I said putting my hand on his head. We followed Shane as more gunshots and screams went off. "Stay close! Stay close!" Shane called out as he led us, Carol and Sophia.

"Cmon y'all! Fight your way up here!" Shane called out as we kept making our way up to the RV. More gunshots went off and I looked back to see T-Dog, Dad, Daryl and Glenn with more guns. "Baby!" I hear Dad's voice. "Carl! Aurora! " He called out again. I let Carl go and he turned around. "Dad!" Carl cried and ran towards him. "Carl!" he called out and bent down to hug him. Mom went over too but i stayed where i was in shock looking at all of the bodies on the floor. Both Walkers and people we knew. I caught my breath shakily looking at everyone, "Aurora." Dad said. I looked over at him and a tear fell from my eyes. He walked up to me still holding Carl. Mom followed him and he pulled me into him, holding Carl in one arm and me in the other.

I caught my breath against his shoulder and wrapped my arms around him and Carl. "Are you okay?!" he asked, catching his breath too, holding me. "Yeah-" I cried scared. He set Carl down and Lori held him. Dad wrapped both arms around me, holding me close to him which only made me cry more, feeling really overwhelmed by what just happened.

Word Count: 1128

A/N: Okay but i love Aurora and Rick 🥺💓