Chapter 23

Adams PoV

I lay in bed, watching my little mate sleep at the side of me. Her breathing was so steady and content. I brought my hand up to her face and gently brushed them against her cheek. My wolf purred as a small smile made its way onto her face in her sleep.
In the battle, my pack had easily won. Once they didn't have my mate, they stood no chance. As promised I let innocent people join our pack. Unfortunately there weren't many, mainly orphaned children. But we were looking after them now.
Everyone who hated my mate was dead. Except for one. Death wasn't good enough for him.

I rolled out of bead and put some clothes on. I kissed Charlotte on the forehead and then left.
I headed down the stairs and through the kitchen. Liam was eating breakfast and he nodded, acknowledging my presence. He knew where I was going.
The utility room behind the kitchen was quite large. In the back left corner there was a locked door that hardly anyone used.
Behind it there were steep steps leading to a dark prison in the basement. Usually this was empty. I didn't like keeping people down here. We sorted their business, they were punished or forgiven and then we go on with our lives. I didn't like locking people away. But this time was different.
I headed down the stairs. My rage already building as I got closer to him. I could just make out his figure in the back of his cell. His breathing was heavy as he turned to face me.

"Back again. You want to kill me don't you? But you've not got it in you" he tried to taunt me. I didn't flinch.
He looked at me and then sniffed the air deeply. "I can smell her" he smiled as I growled a warning.
"That scent. I know why you like it. It makes me think all these nasty things about Char.."
"YOU DONT HAVE THE RIGHT TO SAY THAT NAME" My wolf pushed through taking control. I ripped the lock off the door and and started to beat him.
I kicked his face, punched his stomach and threw him into the wall at the back of the cell. I stood for a moment, trying to calm my wolf.
He lay on the floor, struggling to breath, pain evident on his face.
I just grinned. I moved out of his cell and locked the door again.
"You bastard. You hurt my mate and my sister. You'll suffer for that"
With that I left him there. Tears threatened to leave my eyes at the thought of my sister. I wanted her to rejoin our pack but she hated my mate so much after Robert had wanted her children. She hated her mate too so she took her own life.
I rubbed my eyes to prevent the tears from falling and locked the basement back up. I had to wash his blood off me before Charlotte woke up.