15

Gasping softly, the teenager rushed up to the glass

Gasping softly, the teenager rushed up to the glass. Her eyes fearful and filled with confusion. She was supposed to be taking care of him, protecting him.

"What? What- how?" Jaemin quickly cut the frazzled girl off.

"What happened officer? Why did you detain a child?"

The officers in the room looked at each other as if to figure who would break the news. Yeseul turned, looking expectantly at them.

"He got involved with the wrong crowd. We caught him this evening in the drug grounds. He was selling drugs."

"We have reason to believe that he has some gang affliction." Yeseul let out a shaky breath. Each word was cold. Like a slap to the face.

"We're going to continue to interrogate him." Another officer said.

"No you're not. Now without a lawyer present. Let her go inside and speak to her brother first while I arrange for a lawyer." Jaemin's voice held authority. His cold eyes glaring at the older men in the room.

The officers quickly complied. Obviously, they knew who Jaemin was. There wasn't many people who didn't know who Na Jaemin was.

Jaemin grabbed Yeseul's hand and pulled her along as he followed the officer who was taking them to see Jae.

"Don't freak out. He won't talk to you if you freak out on him." Jaemin informed. Yeseul nodded, but she was already freaking out.

'Drugs?!' She thought to herself. It just didn't make any sense to her.

The man pulled open the door and let the two of them in before leaving. Yeseul felt the tears well up as she her eyes landed on her brother who was ignoring her gaze. His eyes were drawn down to his hands on the table. Staring at the handcuffs on his little wrists. It weighted him down. He felt numb to emotions.

"Jae?" She called softly. As if he would look up and be a different person. It was stupid but she prayed it would another kid. Messed up right?

Gasping loudly as the boy moved his face upward. His eyes still downcast.

"Why? Why would you do that? Why Jae?" Her voice was hoarse. She couldn't comprehend why her twelve year old brother was selling drugs. No, No he wasn't selling drugs. He was being framed. That's what it was.

Rushing over to his side, she grabbed his hands. Shaking the handcuffs. Hoping she could get them off.

"Why are they doing this to you? You didn't do it right? I know you wouldn't. I know. I trust you. Don't worry." Moving her hands up to cup his face. She searched his eyes for answers.

Jae felt overwhelmed. Scoffing at his sister's blind trust, he roughly ripped his face out of her hands. Using his cuffed hands to push her away. Yeseul stumbled back until her back hit the wall.

"I did it. I sold drugs." His stoic, nonchalant voice was frightening. His lack of remorse.

"Why?" Yeseul asked, standing straighter.

"I needed money."

"FOR WHAT?" Yeseul was about to go ballistic. Jaemin stepped forward, putting himself between the two siblings. He felt out of place in their private conversation, but he needed to be here as their guardian at least.

"Calm do-"

"For what Jae? For what? Why did you need to sell drugs? How much money did you need that I couldn't get for you?"

"I don't want your money." Jae spoke coldly. "You think it makes me feel good knowing you've dropped out of school to working at bars for us? I wanted to help out. At least then the kids at school wouldn't take about you. They wouldn't say that you're a dropout. Or that you're a call girl."

Yeseul was speechless. A call girl? She wasn't!

"You idiot!" She said crying, trying to push past Jaemin. "You-" cut off by her own sobs.

Jae turned away. Not wanting to see her. Sure he started the drug thing to help his sister, but why was he filled with resentment just at the thought of her. Was it disgust. He didn't understand what his sister was doing for them. Plagued by the swirling rumors at his school. He wanted to step up, what he didn't realize was that he was stepping in. Stepping into a world of danger.

And Yeseul could feel his hatred. She wanted to find words. Tell him she wasn't selling herself for money. When she worked at the bar, she was a mere waitress. She never engaged with the men their. All she ever thought about was her siblings. That's why she even got caught up in this whole Jaemin mess. With no way to explain herself, feeling broken. She ran out of the room.

Jaemin sighed as the door slammed shut. He was left alone with the boy he had met only once.

"Are they going to arrest me? If they are, tell them to hurry up." Jaemin ignored the boy, looking down at his phone. Hoping he had gotten a reply. He texted the company lawyer. He had no one else to turn too. He got a massage back saying he was one his way, so Jaemin decided it was best to try and calm the boy down before dealing with Yeseul.

"You're not going to get arrested. Don't worry." Honestly, Jaemin didn't know that.

Right now the future seemed rather bleak.

This chapter was pretty emotional, but remember that this is a common reality for kids who are forced to grow up too fast

That I should shed some light into kids left in poverty. They turn to horrible things. It doesn't mean they are horrible people. It means they are helpless people.

ILY STAY SAFE OUT THERE <3