⇢ CHAPTER 46

extra ! + season 7 episode 22

Walking into the hospital for work that day, Holly was prepared to go through a few patient files for the next wave of patients-- instead, she was greeted with mountains

Sitting on a chair in the conference room, Holly reviewed the patient files herself to make sure all of the pages were there with all of the information-- no stone untouched. She barely brought her head up as she listened to Lexie rant on how shocked she was that Jackson dropped out of the Chief's clinical trial when she told him it would be the thing to highlight for him to get Chief resident.

"...and I told him as we were brushing our teeth in the morning, that's the one thing you want to talk about to brag without actually be bragging in front of Owen because that is the kind of thing that wins awards--"

"That's what it is." Holly noted, not looking up from the file.

"What--" Lexie gestured to the file in Holly's hand, "did you find something wrong?"

"No, Lex," Holly looked at Lexie as if it was the most obvious thing, "you said awards-- he's related to Harper Avery. He probably thinks his name on the trial will ruin the Chief's chance of getting one which means he took his name off so the Chief actually had a chance." Holly looked back down at the file, "I-I don't know, I'm just guessing."

"Hmm." Lexie frowned her eyebrows as she thought over it, "Maybe you're right." She stopped leaning against the table and patted Holly's as she left, "Thanks, Holls."

"No problem."

"All right," Holly smiled, dropping off a smaller mountain of patient files in front of Derek in the other conference room, "I sorted through a bunch of them but these patients all have the requirements and all of their scans completed." 

Derek nodded with a smile, "Great--"

"So can I scrub into your craniotomy?" Holly smiled, "Not that I don't love all of the Alzheimer-infested-brains I've seen lately, it's just that I haven't scrubbed in on a Neuro surgery in forever and I saw you had one on the board--"

"Breathe." Derek reminded, picking up one of the files to read through.

Holly inhaled deeply before smiling at him again, "...So--?"

"I need you to scrub in on Zola's surgery." Derek spoke, looking up from the patient files to see Holly's face slightly fall.

Holly sighed, "But--"

"Please?"

Holly glared at him, "Fine."

✧✧✧

Holly leaned against the Nurse's station with Derek as Meredith walked away from the two and she flipped the page on her patient's chart.

"Shepherd," Owen walked up to them, "you got a minute? I need to talk to you about your trial."