eleven

edited: april 2 2021; april 15, 2021; august 8, 2023
✺✺✺

"Luke?" Annabeth asks as the group walks into a room in the Hermes cabin. A short hum sounds in response.

Luke looks behind him to see the four teenagers before turning back to his game. "Hey guys," he drawls, his eyes fixated on the screen. "Percy, figured you'd stop by sooner or later. Everybody does. And (Y/N)," he pauses the game and stands up, turning around to look at her, "hey. It's been a while."

(Y/N) shuffles her feet, clearly uncomfortable, as Luke gives her a flirtatious smile. "Hi," she responds, curtly.

Her two best friends notice her tone of voice .Grover, being closest to her, straightens his spine and gently nudges (Y/N) to stand partially behind him. She lets out a quiet sigh of relief, patting Grover's shoulder in thanks when Luke faces Percy again.

"It's good to get away from all that Renaissance Faire stuff out there, you know?"

(Y/N) fights the urge to comment on his wording. She rubs the bridge of her nose to keep herself from face-palming, eager to get the information they need. And then leave.

"But, uh . . ." Luke starts again, oblivious to (Y/N)'s annoyance, "welcome to the modern world."

This is not the 'modern world,' Luke. This is your cabin with smuggled technology. Please stop.

Even Percy starts questioning Annabeth's choice of aid, having lived in the 'modern world' for sixteen years.

Grover looks around. Trying to dissolve the awkwardness of the situation, he mutters, "Cool . . . new stuff."

Luke gives the four a tight smile, walking over to a chair and resting his hands on its back. "What are you guys up to?" he asks, his gaze moving over the group and lingering on the daughter of Persephone before flickering back to Poseidon's son.

"We're going to get my mom back," Percy says. Determination drips from his words.

"Oh," Luke muses, turning his focus back to (Y/N). "Why are you here, then?"

(Y/N) narrows her eyes. "I'm going with them, obviously. Look, we need your help getting to the Underworld."

The son of Hermes makes a 'tsk' sound, tilting his head at her. "I meant," he says, keeping eye contact and leaning forward, "why are you here asking for help?"

The girl crosses her arms, her eyes blazing with frustration. "You know why, Luke. Now could you stop beating around the bush and just help us?"

Luke raises his eyebrows, straightening back up and giving a helpless shrug. Annabeth turns to (Y/N) with a small glare.

She glares back.

The boys watch as the two have a silent conversation—Luke in amusement, Grover in annoyance, and Percy in confusion. Eventually, (Y/N) sighs, turning back to the son of Hermes with her shoulders slumping a bit.

"Please?" she asks quietly, her head tilting a bit. She looks at him with a gaze that clearly says, 'We need this.'

Percy could swear that she was intentionally verging on puppy-dog eyes.

Luke's posture weakens, and he nods. The corners of (Y/N)'s lips turn upward, ever so slightly.

Annabeth speaks up, drawing the boy's attention. "Your dad is the messenger of the gods, one of the only ones who's gotten in and out of the Underworld. Do you have any idea how?"