Chapter 52: Innocence

Chapter 52:

A few days later, it was finally time for the long-awaited, harrowing pre-calculus test. It was the first of many exams for the semester, and if Mizuki failed this one, she would have a torturous time trying to improve her grades in time for university applications. She sat in class, twiddling with her pencil nervously, as Kei tried his best to review some concepts with her before the exam began.

At the same time, Mina was reading her notes when Yamaguchi approached her.

"Hey Mina."

"Tadashi..." She smiled weakly, "Are you ready for our test?"

"Kind of..." He chuckled lightly, "But... I actually wanted to ask how you were doing. I heard about you and Kyotani-san..."

"Oh..." Mina nodded slowly, "Yeah... I guess I forgot to tell you... Sorry..."

"No, no, it's fine..." He panicked, sitting on the empty desk beside her, "I just wanted to let you know that if you need someone to talk to... I'm here."

Mina blinked a few times before smiling softly, "Thanks... I appreciate it."

Yamaguchi smiled as he cleared his throat, "Anyway... I got you this."

He took something that was delicately wrapped with white and pink cloth out of his bag, and placed it on her desk.

"I remember you telling me when we were first years that your favorite dessert was strawberry rice cake so... I made some, for you." Yamaguchi murmured as he blushed subtly.

Mina stared at the dessert on her desk, wondering why Yamaguchi would do this for her.

"It's to help you feel better..." He explained bashfully, "I hope you like it."

"You didn't have to do this, Tadashi..." Mina murmured, meeting his sheepish gaze.

"I know," He gazed at her, his eyes shimmering with courage, "I wanted to."

Mina was briefly taken aback by his surprising response. Eventually, she relaxed and said, "Thank you, for thinking of me."

Yamaguchi gazed away, too flustered to answer her.

Meanwhile, Hinata, Kageyama, and Rina gloomily sauntered in the classroom, their faces pale and ghastly. They had been dreading this day since the school year started. In fact, any day where they had to write a major exam felt like they were being stabbed by a knife repeatedly in their skulls.

"Hey... Kageyama..." Hinata slumped over his desk sluggishly, "If we fail this Chemistry test, you might need someone new to toss to. My mom might kill me if I fail this."

"Hinata, you idiot..." Kageyama sank down on his seat defeatedly, "We're taking an English test..."

"You're both idiots..." Rina shook her head, slamming her face down on her desk, "We're taking a History test today..."

Yachi overheard the trio's glum conversation and wondered if she should tell them that it was actually a pre-calculus exam.

"Hey morons..." Kei spoke out suddenly, smirking, "We have a math test today."

Hinata, Kageyama, and Rina jerked their head up abruptly as they felt their souls escape their bodies. Yeah, they were screwed.

"You do know we have the pre-cal test today, English tomorrow, Chemistry in a week and History in two weeks... right?" Kei snickered, bewildered at how the three had no idea what exam was on what day.

"Hinata..." Kageyama muttered, gulping distressingly, "You're going to need a new setter after this. If I don't attend school in the next few days, you know what happened."