Chapter 30

There fell a short silence after Myra's question. Uma and Harry exchanged a long look with a lot of eyebrow movements that Myra couldn't place.
     "Guys, we told it before. It's not that hard." Gil spoke up, not understanding why the other two were being so cryptic. The blonde boy turned to Myra, "while you were singing to Audrey, Uma- who was terrified something would happen to you- helped Mal with reactivating the magical God stone. Once it was working again, Mal flew up and blasted the evil princess with the Ember. She got knocked out. Mal and the little girl tried to wake you two, buuuut nothing worked. Harry and Uma yelled at Mal for letting you get hurt." Myra looked between Uma and Harry, touched that they yelled at the future queen of Auradon for her. Gil just continued, unaware of her reaction.
     "In the mean time, Jane, Doug and I had found the Fairy Godmother. She was, like, a statue like most of the others until Audrey got knocked out. So after that we went to the castle where we arrived at the same time as the others. You and Audrey were put in some fancy beds where Fairy Godmother Bibbidi bobbidy boo'ed you and Audrey. You didn't wake up, so Uma yelled at her. But then this awesome little red striped lizard doctor dude came. He had this dope yellow hat and bag-"
     "Gil." Uma interrupted him, urging him to get back on track.
    The boy shook his head and continued. "Anyway. The Doc said you'd be okay after some rest and that he would go get something that should help, but he isn't back yet. Ow, and he couldn't do anything for Audrey so we don't know if she'll ever wake up again. But you're awake again and that's all that matters so everything's okay now."
     Myra's head was spinning trying to take in all the information. The Ember is working again. Audrey is still unconscious. The doctor was a lizard with a hat. And beside all that, she still had so many questions. Where were her clothes? And her flute? Did anyone else get hurt? What happened to Jay, and Evie and Carlos and the others? Were they okay? Was Celia okay? When did they have to go back to the Isle? Would she see Jay again before she had to leave? Was the doctor really a lizard? And if yes, was it a human size lizard or a lizard size human? Did the lizard study to become a medical doctor or did he had a doctorate in something else?
     Myra shook her head to get the stream of question to stop and instead ask one of them to the others. "Where is my flute?"
     Again, silence. And again, Uma and Harry exchanged looks. But this time Myra recognized some of the looks, enough to realize there was something wrong. "Guys..." She started with a hint of suspicion. "Where is my flute?"
     "Right here." Harry answered, reaching down beside him. There was a little nightstand on the right side of her bed, Myra hadn't noticed it before, but now Harry opened the little drawer and took out a little bundel of brown cloth she did.
     She frowned as the boy handed the little package to her. Myra couldn't help but feel dread wash over her when she opened the package and saw what was inside. Her flute. Or what once had been her flute. It was shattered to peaces of wood and metal. One of the two pipes was still in tact, but the other one was only a bunch of splinters. The once shimmering, golden mouth piece was now dull and in the cracked surface Myra could see the dark outlining of her reflection. Ever since her father had told her how he had bought the Flute she had held a lingering amount of resentment for the instrument, but now as it lay in her lap, blown to peaces, something inside of her broke. She didn't start crying, no tears filled her eyes and her body didn't shake, she just stared. Her tired eyes stared at the wooden remains blankly. There was no sadness in them, no remorse, no relieve. Everything was blank. Even her brain was blank, not knowing how to process the loss of the magical instrument.
     A knock on the door got Myra to look up, quickly folding the brown fabric around the remains before the door opened. Evie's head pocked around the corner, once her eyes fell on Myra, sitting up and awake a big smile took over her face. "You're awake!" She exclaims while throwing the door open wider, revealing Evie hadn't come alone. Behind her were Carlos and Celia. Celia- upon seeing Myra- ran passed Evie, almost knocking Gil from his place on the bed as she forced herself in front of him.
     "O my Gosh, Myra, I am so sorry for jumping Audrey and for ruining the Ember and ratting you out to Hades-" Celia was talking fast, barely breathing as she chained the words together. Myra tried to follow the girl's rambling as tears started to become visible in the small girl's eyes. "-and for that time I locked Lunch inside a jar and not telling you."
    "You did what?" Myra's question got ignored by Celia, who was still too caught up inside her own words.
    "And for trying to cut your hair in your sleep, and poisoning your food-"
     "That was you!" This did get Celia to stop for a moment.
     "Well, yeah. I thought you knew that."
     "Well, now I do." Myra's voice was filled with disbelieve, a hint of amusement and even a little pride. She and Celia had spent a lot of time together on the Isle since Myra had started working for Hades more. She had grown fond of Dr. Facilier's daughter, even though she had never said it or let it really show. And all these schemes of her may have been aimed at her, but she still found they were amusing and done pretty well. Except for the one involving Lunch.
"Ow..." Celia said with big eyes. "Well... I'm sorry. I mean it's my fault you almost died today and-"
     "Celia." Myra interrupted, a bit harsher than she had intended, causing the little girl to fall silent. "It's fine. I'm fine. Now stop apologizing. You were just trying to help- well, at least with Audrey. But we are going to have to talk about what you said about putting Lunch in a jar." At the mention of the event, Lunch had let out an indignant squeak and looked at Celia with an angry glare. The girl hadn't noticed, she just nodded her head as she was doing her best to force the tears back.
     Myra shot her a smile, reaching out with her left hand to ruffle Celia's explosion of curls. This small show of affection got Celia to smile back.
     In the mean time, Evie and Carlos had come standing beside her bed as well. Evie lay both her hands on Celia's shoulders as she spoke to her in a gentle voice. "Why don't you go get Fairy Godmother and see if the doc is back, yeah?" Celia nodded and exited the room again.
     The moment Celia was gone, Carlos opened his mouth and mumbled. "She really is a hand full."
     "Yeah..." Myra responded, biting down on her lip. "Is Mal okay? Audrey hit her pretty bad with that lightning."
     "Mal is fine." Evie answered, "dragon skin is a lot tougher than human skin."
     "That, I believe." Myra said through a small chuckle as she re-positioned to favor her right arm. The buzzing sensation still hadn't left her shoulder and now and then there were pulses of electricity shooting through her head. "What about the evil Princess? Gil said she's still knocked out. Is she doing any better?"
     Evie shot the girl a sympathetic smile, "Unfortunately, yes."
     "Unfortunately?" Uma spat. "The bitch almost killed my cousin. If it was up to me she'd be permanently unconscious."
     "Aye!" Harry agreed. "She should be rottin' 'bout now."
     Myra chuckled, leaning her head against Harry's leg. "Calm down, guys. I'm fine."
     "Yeah, fortunately for her." Uma mumbled, looking out of the closest window. Myra recognized her cousin's expression of masked relieve and smiled, taking the young woman's hand.