SIXTY NINE: When The World Falls Down

My mind was in such a panic, I truly believed that the sudden blackness was the end of my life, and that 'Game Over' text would soon appear. Instead, I felt a heavy material against my skin.

"Hawks! Songbird! I'm here!"

T..Tokoyami..?!

Scrambling, I yanked the material, which I quickly realised was his cloak, away, choking up when I saw him poised and ready to fight between us and Dabi. Dark Shadow began to fuss over me, it's large, ghostly hands gently feeling me over.

"We were so worried! We saw the flames and feathers!" It explained, quickly moving to Hawks once it deduced that I wasn't as close to death's door. Carefully, it rolled Hawks further onto his stomach, beginning to lift his shirt up at the back. I could hear the way his skin stuck like glue to the material, and instinctively reached to brush a hand through his hair when he hissed. "H..his back, I..It's gone..!"

I didn't want to believe it, but the proof was right in front of me. Where his crimson wings had once protruded there was nothing but blistered, melting skin, seeping with blood. Not even the bases were left.
"Keigo..." His name was a whisper on my lips as I stared at the gore, my guts cramping and threatening another unceremonious release as bile began to creep up my throat.

"You're one of those Yuuei kids, aren't ya? They're sending students into this mess? How tacky..." Dabi finally spoke up, thick, silver smoke streaming from the splits in his face.
"Don't say that!" Tokoyami barked back, his form shaking as he stood his ground. He was just as terrified as I was, maybe even more so, but I couldn't do anything. I was frozen to the spot, glued to my husband.

Smirking, Dabi thumbed over his shoulder as he stepped to the side, revealing Twice's bloody, lifeless body, head jammed through the hallway rails.
"Check it out, kid. Your man killed this guy. He was just running off to protect his pals, but instead he got stabbed in the back." He explained loosely, our eyes briefly meeting as he spoke. It sent a burning chill down my spine.

Tokoyami can't carry us both...but...if I could just force my quirk to last just a little longer...then maybe...

"Why're you here, anyway? Came to do some saving? But saving who, exactly?" Tilting his head, the villain didn't show any sign of moving yet, just milking the tension in the decimated room. "These pros you look up to so much...Their hands are dirtier than ours..."

Hawks shifted beneath my hand, turning his head and attempting to wet his scorched lips.
"T..Toko...ya...mi..." He was growing weaker by the second, and I was helpless. My husband was closer to death than ever before, and I wasn't able to do a thing about it.

Tokoyami glanced over his shoulder to us, his eyes wide in terror. I could almost see every hair on his head shaking.
"Don't..." I whispered in the most pathetic voice. No matter how badly I wished that he could save us, Dabi was one of the poorest match ups for him.

Tearing his eyes away, Dark Shadow left our sides, curling around it's master and growing larger in size.
"I'm just...concerned about my mentors..." He wasn't going to back down, and I wasn't sure how to handle that on top of everything else. He was just a kid. Fighting Dabi would be a death sentence.

Tilting his head to the side, the patchwork ravonet grinned, and even through my hazy vision I could see the tips of his fingers flex.
"Tch...You've stopped thinking for yourself..." There was no need for me to warn Tokoyami, as he had already noticed. Just as Dabi moved to release his quirk, he and Dark Shadow leapt into action, scooping us up and diving out of the way of the cerulean blaze.

We landed hard on the ground, our intern clutching Hawks and his quirk enveloping me. The poor creature had already shrunk in size, and it trembled around me, sniffling and murmuring apologies.
"Y..you have t-"
"He'll...keep talking..." Hawks rasped, his forehead leaning against the side of the student's face.