CHAPTER X

You're reaching out, and no one hears you cry

You're freaking out again, cause all your fears remind you

And all the dream has come undone

SAPPHIRE

I had been keeping my act for 3 days. Till now my plan was going exactly as I wanted. In fact, I had even earned a tour around the pack house. And I was totally miserable. Why? I don't know. Suddenly, the idea of betraying these people didn't seem so nice to me. My determination was shifting from super high to I-am-only-doing-this-because-I-have-to level, very fast. I tried to keep feeling angry and resentful, but I just couldn't. I wasn't even sure what I was supposed to do next. I didn't know whom I was really feeling angry on. The cult needs me back, I kept reassuring myself.

As of right now, I was sitting on a couch in my room. Sunlight was bathing my back from the open window, while I sat thinking. The door clicked open. It was Juliette. I returned the smile she gave me. She was quiet fun to hang around with if I could overlook the fact that I was basically a prisoner.

"You look sad." she noticed.

"Nah. Just a bit homesick." I said.

She nodded sadly. "I am sorry but this is the way things are." she said.

I couldn't resist myself from gritting my teeth.

"You have the right to be angry." She said.

I didn't respond to that one. I had the right to go back home too, but was I going home? No, just because of these people. The thought made anger flow through my blood vessels like boiling water. I quickly calmed myself down. I was not going to loose control.

"Anyways," I said after sometime, "The kid you brought the first day, what was his name? Marko?" I asked.

"You mean Markus." she said.

"I wanna see him. Can that happen?" I asked.

"Sure, I'll send him after lunch." she said casually.

"Why does he live here? He should be with a cult..." I asked the question that had been nagging my mind for a long time.

"We took him in after his parents died in a rogue attack near the pack's boundary. He was just a 2 year old kid. Could barely spell his name."

My heart twisted with sorrow. I knew all about losing parents.

"He just never left after that."

I couldn't do more than nod.

****

I heard a knock on my door. I was expecting it to be Markus, but it was just Juliette.

"The boy doesn't want to be alone with you. Something about being a servant of the devil." she said.

I raised an eye brow.

"He is waiting in the main hall." she shrugged.

"Lead the way."

He was waiting in the main hall for sure. But he was sitting in the farthest corner. Like he thought I won't notice him and leave. Honestly, I felt sad for myself more than the kid. Why did they have to spread such hideous rumours about me?

I motioned for Juliette to leave. She tried to protest, but one stern look from me and she was gone. I approached the kid slowly. He visibly flinched at the sight of me and I resisted the urge to burst out laughing. I pulled up a chair and sat next to him. He shuffled away. His face was ashen, as though, his worst nightmare had come true.