54. BIGGER, BETTER THINGS

AS QUICKLY AS THE main ceremony had gone by, it took a while for Elijah's shock at the sight of his ex-girlfriend to ebb away

AS QUICKLY AS THE main ceremony had gone by, it took a while for Elijah's shock at the sight of his ex-girlfriend to ebb away. By the time the bride and groom said their "I do's" and danced back down the aisle to the crowd of people applauding, Elijah had recovered from his initial shock and awe.

"I had no idea it was her," Aliyah whispers to him as they linger at their seats, "I swear, I would've told you —"

Elijah shakes his head with an amused smirk, "Hey, it's fine." He pecks her lips, watching as her face shifts from an expression of nervousness to awe, "I was just shocked, babe. I've moved on."

Aliyah rests her hands on his lapels before grabbing a hold of his chin and pulling him down to meet her lips again. After a couple of seconds of just being with each other, Aliyah remembers where they are and pulls away.

People are still filing out to go to the little area further down to take pictures before they can go into the reception hall.

"You sure? 'Cause we gotta spend the next couple hours breathing her air." Aliyah jokes, receiving a chuckle from the man in front of her.

Elijah moves to rest his hands on her shoulders, massaging them gingerly, "Looks like I gotta ask you that — you just watched your ex get married."

"Oh, I'm over it," Aliyah takes his hands and intertwines them with hers as she steps back, ready to leave the row of seats, "I've moved on to bigger, better things."

"Is that right?" Elijah chuckles behind her as she leads him past the floral arch towards the reception hall.

HOURS PASSED BEFORE the reception starts and music is booming from the DJ's booth

HOURS PASSED BEFORE the reception starts and music is booming from the DJ's booth. Aliyah is speaking with the man behind the booth and Elijah is seated at one of the empty tables, nursing a glass of whiskey on the rocks.

In a matter of moments, the microphone from behind the booth has a moment of static before Aliyah's voice can be heard over the speakers.

"Ladies and gentlemen, for the first time ever, please welcome," She announced, "Mr. And Mrs. Trevor Robinson!"