Chapter 16

A/n: Hello everybody! Today is August 19, 2020. I just realized that we are about to go into September... what happened to MAY AND JUNE I DON'T REMEMBER ANYTHING FROM MAY AND ONLY A COUPLE OF DAYS FROM JULY THE MONTHS LITERALLY DISAPPEARED. Also I saw this horrifying TikTok where they were celebrating the New Year, and instead of it hitting 12:00, it hit 11:60. And the T.V was broadcasting something that said "2020 did not go as planned. We beg for your forgiveness and would like to try again. Please prepare yourself for 2020 v2. Good luck." I SCREAMED

WARNINGS: Mention of self-harm and attempted suicide

"Steve and I had a fun little chat," Billy spits. "Apparently, you don't trust me enough to tell you why Harrington and you are so close, and it seems like a pretty big deal."

Y/n leans back in her seat and scoffs. "How clear do I have to make myself? I do have intense feelings for you, but excuse me if I hold back some very personal information because we've only been, what, dating for 1ish weeks?! And are we even dating? Nothing's been official. Just cheeky kisses and 1 good date. You've said nothing. Nothing has been established."

They are both getting frustrated. "You act like we know nothing about each other and haven't connected in a very large way. If I remember correctly, your the one that reassured me in the pouring rain that this means something to you!"

"My secret is so personal that Will, the person I love most in my life, doesn't even know! There are only 5 people on this Earth that know what happened to me, including me! Mom, Jonathan, Hopper, Steve and me! That's it! So excuse me if I don't go gushing out my secrets to you!"

"So you admit something happened to you?"

"Well, obviously!"

Billy's face softens, although he is still angry. "Is it me? Honestly, it it? If you don't trust me, I want to know."

Y/n rolls her head around on her shoulders, frustrated. "We're going in circles. Billy, I trust you!"

"So why won't you tell me?!" He yells.

"BECAUSE I'LL SCARE YOU OFF!" Y/n screams.

Billy's face whitens and Y/n starts crying, biting her fist. "Because you won't want anything to do with me anymore. You would be horrified."

"Unless your some serial killer, that's not happening," he says softly.

Y/n chuckles dryly, with no emotion behind it. Pulling in a shuddering breath, she pulls her leggings down. Billy immediately looks away. "Woah, Doll! What is happening right now?"

He hears her sigh. "Billy, I need you to look."

Slowly, he turns around and sees her. Her pants are pulled down around her knees, underwear still on, obviously. Her sleeves are rolled up. 

"What-?" Billy begins to say, but gets cut off when she angles her limbs so that her scars catch the light. 

The white nightmarish lines gleam in the late afternoon haze. He gasps softly and gently thumbs them. "Did someone-?" He can't even finish the sentance before a tear rolls down his cheek. 

Y/n shakes her head frantically. "No, I did."

His head snaps up, mouth open, clearly horrifyed. 

With a sigh, she begins talking. "Last year, when Will went missing, I was so overcome with grief. I felt guilt for not protecting him, and even more for not finding him. I love him so much, and finding the dead body made it so much worse. I just wanted to die. So I tried to. I cut and cut and cut, and was about to make the final one, when Steve found me. He drove me to the hospital and called Mom and Jonathan. Mom told Hopper, who's the closest thing I have to a dad, quite honestly."

The sobs begin to wrack her body. Billy pulls her into his arms and throws the seat back, resting her in the back row. Taking her into his lap, she weeps into his shoulder, with him gently petting her hair. His tears roll, too, wetting her hair.

"My mother abandoned me," he whispers softly.

"W-what?"

"When I was 10. My father was so abusive, she had to leave me behind to save herself. She was what made me passionate about surfing. She loved me so much, but she had to leave. I understand, though it hurts. I would've done the same." His voice breaks. 

Now Y/n is crying for him, too. 

So they lay there together, crying for themselves and each other. 

And it was at this moment Billy knew he loved her more than anything on this Earth.

Even his mother.