The Nerve

Chyna muttered to herself quietly while she  pulled her skirt back into place, "yous so stupid

Chyna muttered to herself quietly while she  pulled her skirt back into place, "yous so stupid.." she said to herself, "how could you not notice." she hummed in a long sigh. Chyna's hands gripped the sides of her skirt tightly, her fingers trembling as she wrung at the fabric. 

Heading towards the wagon, Chyna took her time, she wasn't sure how to tell him, sure it would be easy, Cap had been dreaming of it and talking about it the way a child dream about what they wanted to be once grown up. Chyna bit her lip and water stung at her eyes, releasing her skirt she quickly wiped a tear away she sniffled a bit and stop her inward panic before heading up to the Wagon.

Cap watched her carefully "you awlright?" he asked her, "your gut ain't hurting you is it cause we can stop for a while." He offered. Chyna laughed lightly at his concern "Cap, it ain't your gut that hurts on your flow. It's your baby making parts." she said. Cap paled "I...I coulda don' without that..." He said with a sheepish smile. Chyna chuckled as swiped gently at his forehead brushing away stay locks of shaggy hair. "you need a cut when we gets back." she said.

Cap frowned "but I like it, like this." he said. "aunt Levicy says you look like Uncle Jim's hound." Cotton chimed in. Chyna giggled "I do not, Ma's always got something to say 'bout how alla her kids dress." Cap shot back. Cap  found himself smiling, truth was, cutting his air also cut back the amount of time Chyna would reach out to fix it. He could not and would not have that happen. not for all the Ox tails in West Virginia.

"we're almost home," Cap announced as he got the horses moving again. "hurrah! I had fun up in New York with Huck and the others, but I miss everyone else." Cotton said. "Me too Cot, I wonder how Iris and Clint is doin' and little Elliot, though I'm sure Sarah and Arvella are doin' fine helping out Miss Levicy with him." Chyna mused. Cap gave a nod "that or drivin' poor Ma crazy." he laughed.

Meanwhile, Back in Kentucky, Jim McCoy entered into the whore house, a bushel of roses in hand, He went up the stairs and to the usual room, " Kathryn, Dear?" Jim called with a wide grin on his face. Kathryn sat before her mirror removing the curlers form her hair, each coil giving a beautiful bounce as it fell in place. Her deep eyes glanced to Jim, she tried to smile, but as of late, Jim smiling meant someone some where was hurting.

"You are happy, did you catch another one of the Hatfield's men?" Kathryn asked. Jim handed her the roses and left a kiss on her cheek "sure did, got them waitin' in a cell now. wasn't no one big but it's progress." He said happily. Kathryn gave a nod and went back to fixing her hair.

Jim sat on the edge of her bed and watched her carefully "when you gonna stop workin' here. I told you, I can care for you." He said.

Kathryn watched him from her mirror "I'm not living with you, your brothers and sisters and your parents." she said simply. She couldn't tell him the truth, that his father, Ol' Randal McCoy, frightened her.

"why? Ma, likes you and the girls do to, so does Calvin." Jim said in a rush.

"it's too violent and I can't stand...." Kathryn thought to herself, she saw Jim's pitiful expression in her mirror and sighed. "Its too many people, Jimmy. Your Mother should have space to her self so that she may mourn the right way." Kathryn said. Her light voice eased Jim's worry as she stood up and went to him. Kathryn rain his hand across his hair, brushing it back.