Chapter 40 : Near the Coast

APPARENTLY, we are indeed in a ship. It's very old and I doubt if it can sail far. It almost looked like a hideout and I think it's what it is. It's already almost dawn and it took a lot of time convincing Ares to listen to Maynard. In the end, he let Laurent treat Maynard's wound.

I bristled at the cold breeze. The truth was so overwhelming I still can't wrap my head around it. The fact that I had a father and two brothers, that I had a sister---all my life I believed I was an only child, that both my parents are dead and I was raised by my grandma. And that grandma wasn't my grandma--my life was a lie.

I wonder where Davis is. Did he know all this time that I am his sister? Did Maynard tell him the things he told me? What will happen now?

I felt a warm coat draped over my shoulders and a presence beside me.

"Exene," I muttered.

"It's cold out here," he murmured. I looked at the water below us, gently crashing the mossy rock.

"Helps me think," I only answered. Then silence filled us.

I looked at him and he was also looking at the sea. His usual hair that was always pulled back is now almost covering his eyes as it swayed with the breeze.

My eyes went back to the waters below us.

"I'm sorry," I mumbled, fumbling on the buttons of the coat. I know he was very worried when I suddenly disappeared.

"But how did you know I was here?"

"Black. He knew the moment you were missing. And he found this in the forest, near the clearing," May inilabas siyang baril sa bulsa. My brows furrowed.

"Apparently, Laurent, that guy left this gun on the foot of a tree. Davis said this was his gun and that Laurent took it when they fought once. Black also told us the location of this hideout,"

"Where is he?"

"At the manor, settling things there with Luca. And now that we knew Maynard is not Apollo, we need reinforcements so we can attack wherever these pirates are. They're working on it. We'll have to wait here until they come." He looked at me.

"Davis is already working on locating their hideout. Whoever their Apollo is, he sure did a great job at manipulation."

He clenched on the railing dahilan para pigilan ko siya. He looked at me, confused.

"The railings are rusted. You might cut yourself with the sharp edges." He gripped my hand tighter.

"How are you?" he looked at me and I could feel my eyes welling just with that simple question. I don't know how I am. After all the things I've learned, I think I needed some time to let it all sink in.

"Fine, I guess. I.." I took a shuddering breath. "I don't know what to feel, honestly. A bomb just dropped right into my face and it's crazy knowing I have a family all along. I thought I was alone but there's Davis--and he--he's so, so near to me and I--" I sobbed.

"It's alright. You didn't know. And knowing Davis, I think he knows you're siblings but he chose to keep it from you."

"But why? If he had known, why didn't he just tell me?"

"I'm sure he had his reasons, Lily."

I wiped my tears and nodded. I'm sure he had his reasons too. And I keep wondering when did he know about it. When did he know I am his sister?

I heard Exene sigh. "You're good. And I somewhat understand your Father's actions. Though, his ways were wrong. But he did it to save you and your brothers. Sometimes, a sacrifice isn't enough. It will only buy you enough time but if something is bound to happen, it will happen."

"He left Davis,"

"And I could tell he regretted every action he made."

I looked at him, confused. He isn't just saying it. He says it as if he'd done it first hand. His eyes gave it away.

"Exene," I touched his arm because I remembered the fragments I heard in the Palace.

"I didn't grow up in the Palace. I moved away when I was six. It was a necessary thing only I can do." He said as his eyes were fixed on the horizon ahead. As if doing so would help him say the things he wanted to say.

"It was hard," he gave out a bitter laugh. "I mean, a six-year-old kid, not able to feel his mother's embrace, or his father's, not being able to spend time with my siblings. It was a different kind of pain. But it has something that needs to be done or else Quinny would be in danger,"

"My uncle, the Duke of Araennon that time, took me in. Trained me and taught me things that I needed to know. It was bearable but there are really times that I would think what if I didn't move out, what if I stayed in the Palace and just fuck everything off. My life would turn out so differently. If I hadn't moved out, Quinny would be taken. If I hadn't moved out, I wouldn't be the Duke of Araennon. If I hadn't moved out, I would never have met Levi, Luca, and Davis. I wouldn't have met you, Lily." I felt his warm hand on my cheek and at that moment, all I could think of was the strange feeling I feel when I heard the last part.

"That's why I understand Maynard, Lily. Despite every painful thing that happened to me, it all ended with something beautiful. I couldn't take time back, but there's always a future to look forward to. And I figured it's better to focus on what you have now and what you will have tomorrow rather than focusing on to the past. It's hard but trust me, it's worth it,"

I couldn't help but smile at him and he smiled at me too and I thought, it's the most beautiful thing I've seen. I held his hand on my cheek and leaned on it as if it's the most comfortable thing in the world because it is. Oh, what I'd give just to make this moment last.

I reached out a hand to touch his hair but his hand traveled from cheek to the back of my neck. He held my other hand and pulled me close to him. He leaned and I closed my eyes as his lips met mine for a passionate kiss.

I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled him close. It was as if I hadn't seen him for so long. He answered my kisses with the same intensity and broke the kiss as his lips traveled down my neck. I sighed. I heard him swear. He planted a small kiss at the bottom of my neck before he steps away. I protested and was about to kiss him again when he stopped me.

"Believe me, Liliana, there's nothing more I want right now than to --- than to enjoy this but I don't think this is the right place --"

"I don't care,"

"Fuck," he frustratedly combed his hand to his hair. "As much I want to make love to you right here, right now, my ever so smart brother is somewhere and maybe watching."

He's got a point. I felt my cheeks get hot and whatever fervor I had earlier disappeared into thin air and all I could feel right now is embarrassment.

"Don't worry," he stepped closer. "Once we get home, let's take our time to enjoy each other. And besides, we didn't really consummate our marriage, did we?" he winked.

My jaw dropped. I forgot Exene could be a shameless flirt sometimes. I was about to open my mouth when we got interrupted by a loud explosion.

It shook the whole boat kaya napahawak ako sa railings na naroon. My mind was in chaos about what's going on and the ground still shook with the loud explosion. Exene's hand was on me, his eyes alert. Levi was there in an instant. How did he get here so fast?

"What's the situation, Levi?" Exene asked with his arm on my shoulder.

Levi was panting before he said, "The pirates have come and attacked this ship."

* * *