Chapter 36 - Hayden

I knew our lives would change dramatically after we posted our second update this morning.

What I didn't expect was how fast news would travel. As soon as we stepped out of the plane in Utah, those fucking vultures were there, dozens of them.

We're finally in our hotel suite now, and Mila releases a shaky breath as she settles her bag on the counter. I see how shaky her hands are when she runs them through her hair, and I walk over to throw my arms around her. She relaxes instantly, resting her head on my chest as I run my fingers through her hair.

"I'm sorry." I feel the need to say it. This is all happening because of me, after all.

"No, don't apologize," she whispers while rubbing my back. "It's not your fault. And I'm okay." I hear the strain in her voice, hear how it quivers, the anxiety seeping off her in waves as she takes a few deep breaths.

"Lucky, don't hide from me. It's okay not to be okay with this."

She shakes her head. "I'm not hiding, promise. It's just...it's a lot. But I knew this was coming."

"Just because you knew doesn't mean it's any easier for you." I press a kiss on her head, and she moves to look up at me. The pure love and loyalty in her eyes makes me want to lose myself in them again—sometimes I wish I could live in that feeling of utter appreciation.

"I know. I'm fine though, really." She kisses my cheek, a smile dancing on her lips as she slaps my butt and says, "Now, come on. We've gotta move in."

By "move in," Mila means unpacking our suitcases. I never bothered doing that in the past, but she has a point when she says it makes the room more homely, and I can't deny I like it. I'm looking forward to coming back from training or a long day of negotiations, simply because she's here.

I feel at home as long as she's here with me.

***

"How's it going?" I ask, grabbing the two coffee cups from the kitchen counter before I walk over to Mila, who by now has settled in a sea of pillows, blankets, and duvets. Mathilda is right in front of her, along with a shit-ton of notepads.

"Well, I have a few more chapters to go, but I'm getting there."

"Oh, that's good. That means you're almost done?" I place the cup next to Mathilda, but the way Mila stares at me makes me raise a brow.

"It's not that easy." She laughs. "This is just the naked draft. I need to revisit it all, work out plot holes and spelling and sentence structure...and then my editor does the same, but better. It's a long process, but I'll get there." The smile on her lips shows she will. She will get there, and she'll excel at it.

"I'm sure you will. I'm still sad I didn't get to witness you in the zone you're always talking about."

"Oh, believe me, you don't want to see that. It can get pretty ugly."

"Nothing with you in it could ever be ugly, Lucky," I whisper before kissing her cheek, and I can't deny I fucking love that she still blushes at things like that.

"You're such a charmer, Hayden Cross."

"And you're pretty goddamn beautiful, Mila Lyne."

"Oh my God, stop!" She laughs as she turns and slaps my thigh, but I lean down again to kiss her once more. My tongue immediately invades her mouth, and my heart soars at the sound of her moan vibrating against our lips, her body melting into my touch. "Don't you have somewhere to be?" she mutters into the kiss, and I groan when she pulls back.

"Hank can wait." I tap up her chin, wanting to feel her again, so fucking badly.

"Not in times like these, babe," she says, and I can't help but roll my eyes, eliciting a raised eyebrow on her part. Mila is obviously unimpressed by my behavior.