Chapter 69

We took the stairs since the elevator wasn't working due to Peter pressing the STOP button earlier. Descending down the stairs was actually more comfortable than I anticipated, and I didn't need help from Luke for support.

I began to learn about the three strangers. The red-headed woman's name was Harriet, the girlfriend of Austin, the guy in the Saints jersey and red nylon shorts. Austin's roommate was the guy in the glasses, named Corey, who had been rooming with him for over a year. All three of them were juniors at Russell Sage College. Beyond that, I drowned out their voices, and they continued talking and talking, even when Peter told them to shut up or else drew the vectors' attention. Harriet and Austin didn't seem to mind since they kept telling us how they're going to complain about the military and the city government. They planned to put it all over the internet once the cell towers were fixed, letting the world know how the military and the US government ineptly failed to protect the city and let thousands die.

Austin's parents were some big shots in the Silicon Valley, and I frankly didn't give a fuck until his voice (which reverberated through the stairwell and he never tried to whisper) drew a vector toward us. Luckily, the door to the third floor was barred shut, and the vector couldn't come into the stairwell without an ID.

"Quiet!" I snapped. "Do you want to die?"

Harriet scowled at me. "Nobody wants to die. Obvi."

Austin shrugged. "Relax. They're not gonna get in without this." He pulled out his ID from his pocket.

"Some of them have a habit of sneaking up on you. So, zip it. Both of you."

"Hey! You should be thanking us that my boyfriend is letting you borrow his car."

"We can always take it from you," I muttered, but it was too late. I was cranky, irritated, and very late for my pain medication, so I was not in my headspace. But I've said what I said, and there's nothing I could do about it. The woman's eyes bulge out of her head, and Austin's mouth hung open.

"Who the fuck are you?" Austin seethed.

"Someone who knows how to stay quiet."

Austin ignored my jab. "You're not a soldier. You're a cripple."

"Wow. Great observation," I said sarcastically.

"You're an asshole. I think we should leave you here, being a dead-weight and all. I think that's for the best, right?"

"Well, don't think too hard. I don't want you to hurt yourself."

"That's enough," Peter said, giving me a warning glare.

Harriet scoffed. "Unbelievable. Can you believe this guy? Hashtag, rude." She turned to Corey, but the man didn't dare meet my gaze or answer her.

"We should leave him," Austin mumbled.

"Careful. He's a bigger fish than both of you," Peter said without looking at them, rifles raised forward, and eyes kept peeling the darkness below. "Watch both your mouths."

"You some senator's son or something?" Austin asked mockingly.

I didn't answer. I wouldn't give this neanderthal the satisfaction. Sometimes, the best response was a silent treatment. I didn't want to give him more ammunition flung my way. At least Corey was sharp enough to follow instructions. He gave me a mortified look, appalled by his two companions' behavior.

"Was that necessary?" Luke whispered in my ear.

"No." I paused, looked back to see if they're in earshot. They weren't. "It was worth it."