16 • A Fight From the Past • 16

Charlie

Charlie

At lunch on Tuesday, I found myself sat at my usual lunch table. Joe was stressing about some history essay he had and Taylor was helping him figure out what to write. I was barely paying attention to my friends as I found myself lost in my thoughts about the result of my English test. I hardly slept on Monday night because   the single thought that I had failed my English test kept going around in my head.

"It's going to be fine, Char." Joe said, clearly aware I hadn't been paying attention to anything they'd been saying.

Joe had cut off their stream of conversation to reassure me. I'd caught the odd snippet of what they were saying. Joe was telling us about his big history assignment that seemed to be taking over his life and Taylor was complaining about being home alone with Jason. I couldn't blame either of them, I wouldn't want to have to deal with living with Jason or a history assignment right now.

"Sorry," I said trying to refocus my attention on my friends. "I got zoned out for a second."

"Are we boring you, Char?" Taylor teased,  "You're not thinking about anyone in particular are you? Like I don't know, maybe a boy?"

I felt my eyebrows raise up in surprise at Taylor. I hadn't expressly mentioned anything to them about Billy or any boys.

"Come on, Charlie. Don't think I didn't notice how you both left together on Saturday." Joe stated, reminding me of the short time Billy and I spent chatting on the pier.

I shrugged, "And?"

I wasn't one to start talking to my friends about a boy I could potentially liked unless something happened. I wasn't sure if it stemmed from a place of pride or privacy. I could waste all my energy filling our conversations about a boy and he may not even know I exist. What a waste of time.

I glanced between the two of them and I realised they'd shared their thoughts on the idea of me and Billy between themselves before they let me in on it.

"So, do you like him?" Taylor questioned, "Joe said you hung out with him for quite some time."

I turned to Joe, raising my eyebrow. "Seriously? What were you doing? Spying on us?"

Joe looked at me smugly, but shook his head. "No, of course not. Billy took a longer break than he usually would. I figured it was because of you." He said, pausing. "And the fact he came back and started asking questions about you."

"Huh? Really?" I asked, surprised. I didn't expect Billy to show much interest in me. I thought he'd be more of the type to keep himself to himself. "What did he ask about me?"

I felt my heart rate slowly increase at the thought of Billy asking about me.

Joe shrugged, "you know, what your deal is and shit."