Chapter 36

-------------------> THE WIZENGAMOT WAS THE LEGISLATIVE AND JUDICIAL BODY IN THE MINISTRY OF MAGIC of Britain that consisted of forty-nine members

-------------------> THE WIZENGAMOT WAS THE LEGISLATIVE AND JUDICIAL BODY IN THE MINISTRY OF MAGIC of Britain that consisted of forty-nine members. Out of these, forty of the seats belonged to those of pure and noble blood and were inheridatory in nature. However, if a family line became extinct -like the Emrys line- or fused into another family -like the Peverells into the Potter line- then, that family's seat would be replaced by another family's.

Four of the seats of the Wizengamot were personally chosen by the Minister of Magic from various spheres of life (such as singing, sports, writing, dancing, etc.,) and they held the seat for a term of five years.

The remaining five seats were electable and were nominated by the people during the time the Minister was elected and together, they all made the Wizengamot.

Albus Dumbledore presided over the meeting, as was his duty as the Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot. He called the meeting to order and began with the normal business of the body, starting by informing all of them of the current events of the world and such.

Lyra sat calmly at the guest chairs and waited patiently for the voting of the bill to come whereupon which time, two people would confess their views on the bill. Sadly, only those who were either members or a representative of a group who had been personally, directly invited by the assent of the Chief Warlock was allowed inside, meaning that it was only Lyra who was able to speak on this matter despite the whole Court contributing information.

Finally, almost towards the end of that week's session of the Wizengamot, her turn came.

"....And now, debating their views on the bill that had been introduced in the court 14 days ago, we have Heiress Lyra Black who has activated Clause 149 of the Rules and Regulations of the Wizengamot and Mr Gladen Douglas, one of the lawyers who helped in writing this bill." Albus Dumbledore announced. "Please, both of you, come to the podium and good luck."

Lyra stood up and walked to one of the two podiums located in the center of the Wizengamot, confidence and coolness radiating with every step. Mr Douglas also followed her lead and stood behind the other podium.

Mr Gladen Douglas, a halfblood lawyer and one of the elected members of the Wizengamot, had been selected by the people who had written this bill to speak for it.

"Mr Douglas, Heiress Black, the two of you may begin." Albus Dumbledore said with his characteristic, grandfatherly smile present on his face.

"Thank you, Chief Warlock," Mr Douglas began, turning to face the members of the Wizengamot. "Ladies and gentlemen, I honestly cannot believe that we have come to a stage where even a good deed can be interpreted as a bad one." He said. "This bill was written with the purest intentions by the greatest legal minds, myself contributing and checking it for loopholes. This bill was written so that the children -the future of our country- can have proper guiding hands to help them in the dark. Denying youths a loving guardian they deserve is cruel, and all I hope is that we can finally respond to their pleas and see this bill to become a law. Thank you." He finished, and flashed Lyra a smug look upon noticing that the majority of the members were nodding at his statements.