Chapter 14-Preparing for Battle (Edited)

The men had gathered in the armoury to make ready for battle. As swords and armour were being passed out, Aragorn looked at the frightened faces that surrounded him. Never before had he seen such hopelessness. Even he, himself, felt a heavy weight on him, but he knew that he had to be strong if he was going to lead them against Saruman's forces.

"Farmers, farriers, stable boys. These are no soldiers," said Aragorn, quietly, to Legolas and Gimli.

"Most have seen too many winters," remarked Gimli.

"Or too few," continued Legolas, "They're frightened. You can see it in their eyes."

As their conversation carried on, men would turn to look at them.

"Boe a hyn neled herain dan caer menig (And they should be. Three hundred against ten thousand!)," said Legolas who switched over to speak in Elvish.

"Si, beriathar hyn ammaeg na ned Edoras (They have more hope of defending themselves here than at Edoras)," replied Aragorn, also in Elvish.

"Aragorn," continued Legolas, "Nedin dagor hen ú-'erir ortheri. Natha daged dhaer! (They cannot win this fight. They are all going to die!)"

"Then I shall die as one of them!" exclaimed Aragorn.

Everyone at this point had gone silent.

Aragorn turned to walk away, angered. Legolas tried to follow him but Gimli stopped him.

~~~~~

So much doubt lay heavy on the hearts of man that night and no one could see the light at the end of this dark tunnel that they were facing. Young boys, with swords too heavy for them, looked upon the withered faces of their fathers and grandfathers. Would they last the night?

Aragorn sat on some steps, dejected and despondent, but noticed a little boy standing by a fire looking frightened.

"Give me your sword," asked Aragorn, holding out his hand to the boy.

The boy handed Aragorn his sword.

"What is your name?" asked Aragorn.

"Haleth," replied the boy, "son of Háma, my lord."

His voice quivered with fear as he continued. 

"The men are saying we will not live out the night. They say that it is hopeless."

Aragorn stood up, swung the sword skilfully and replied, "This is a good sword."

Aragorn handed the sword back to the boy and bent down a little to place his hand on the boy's shoulder, "Haleth, son of Háma...there is always hope."

~~~~~

After she had finished her duties and prepared the soldiers, Salandiel sat down to clean her sword, preparing her mind for the night ahead. She heard some shuffling next to her and looked up to see Legolas and Gimli sitting on either side of her. She could see how despondent they were.

"Something weighs heavy on your hearts," said Salandiel, stating the obvious. She continued to clean her sword.

Legolas sighed.

"We are going into a fruitless battle."

"And what makes you say that?" asked Salandiel, turning to face Legolas.

Gimli piped in. 

"Three hundred against ten thousand! It is hopeless!"

"Three hundred men fighting for their people, their families, their lives?" said Salandiel, "Let me tell you that there is always hope."

There was a moment of silence as the three of them sat there trying to believe what Salandiel said. Was there really hope?

"Are you not frightened, Salandiel?" asked Legolas.

"Of course I am frightened," she replied, "But I trust Aragorn, our leader."

"Aye, he is a good leader but I wonder if he actually understands what we are up against, lassie," remarked Gimli.

"I believe he has looked past what we are fighting against and has chosen, rather, to look at what we are fighting for," said Salandiel.

"And let me ask you a question," continued Salandiel, "Has Aragorn led us astray thus far?"

Legolas and Gimli looked at each other in understanding.

She stood up, put her sword back into its sheath and started to walk away but turned around to face Legolas and Gimli with a cheeky grin. 

"And besides," she called out, "Going up against ten thousand means that there are plenty of orcs for both of you to kill."

Salandiel walked off. She could hear Legolas and Gimli chuckle behind her.

After all that she had said, Salandiel really did feel in her heart that she could trust Aragorn to lead them in this fight.

~~~~~

The hour drew nearer and Aragorn went to the armoury to prepare. He was alone as he put on his chainmail and belt. In that moment he felt the weight of what was about to happen. Aragorn reached for his sword but it was passed to him before he could reach it.

"We have trusted you this far," said Legolas, "You have not led us astray. Forgive me, I was wrong to despair."

"Ú-moe edaved, Legolas (There is nothing for forgive, Legolas)," replied Aragorn.

They put their hands on each others shoulders and shared a moment of camaraderie. Aragorn looked behind him to see Salandiel, who was leaning against the door, give him a smile. Aragorn knew, in that moment, that no matter what dangers he faced, he could rely on his three companions.

Suddenly the sound of a horn blew and they all looked at one another in confusion.

"That is no orc horn," said Legolas.

The four ran out of the armoury and what they saw before them was a phenomenal sight. A multitude of Lórien Elves marched towards the gates of Helm's Deep. As they marched on, the soldiers of Rohan felt their hopes rising. The mighty force of the Elves halted and King Theoden walked down some steps to reach Haldir.

"How is this possible?" asked Theoden in shock.

"I bring word from Elrond of Rivendell," said Haldir proudly, "An alliance once existed between Elves and Men. Long ago we fought and died together. We come to honour that allegiance."

Salandiel felt her spirits rising and could not help the smile that spread across her face. She kept her composure though, as a soldier would, but Aragorn did not.

He walked towards Haldir, greeting him. 

"Mae govannen, Haldir (Well met, Haldir)"

Without warning, Aragorn brought Haldir into an embrace.

"You are most welcome," said Aragorn warmly.

Haldir was shocked at this display of affection but he could not hide the small smile that crept onto his.

After a short second, Haldir stepped back and greeted Legolas.

With his back straight and his eyes ablaze, Haldir spoke proudly;

"We are proud to fight alongside Men once more."

Author's Note: OH MY GOSH! Who's excited for the next chapter? Because I sure am! Sorry, another short chapter but it's all building up to the big battle. Can't wait! What did you think of that moment between Salandiel, Gimli and Legolas? 

Again, if you enjoyed this, please vote or comment.

Much love!