Chapter 34: A Fine Prize

Alright here it is. Hope you guys love it. Lots of research went into this and I hope everyone appreciates it. That is why it took so long, I wanted it to seem authentic, i may have gotten some things wrong but I did try to make it true to the time period.

I am waiting anxiously for your feedback, so don’t keep me waiting. As always I pray I haven’t let any one down. And thank you for all your patience.

This is a labour of love for me and all your support and good wishes are much appreciated.

“Naw git tae readin’ bonny lasses and dae nae ferget tae tell me what ye all think!” :-)

Chapter 34:

A Fine Prize;

Hugh rushed over the moment he saw her rounding the bend.  Sarah didn’t even have a chance to draw breath.

“Sarah, are ye alright lass?”

Sarah was taken aback by the question as well as the obvious concern on Hugh’s bearded face.

He was looking at her worriedly, as if she had just survived a beat down with an alligator. Which Sarah knew, suppressing a guilty blush, she most certainly had. Although it hadn’t ended too badly, she thought to herself, a wayward smile threatening to crack through her tightly sealed lips.

“I am fine Hugh,” she assured him, as seriously as she could manage, when all she could think about was how she had felt in Iain’s arms, Dear Lord she was still floating on bloody air, “Why shouldn’t I be?”

“That is good tae know lass,” Hugh sighed finally letting out his anxiety.

He was so happy about her being unharmed that he didn’t even notice the colour creeping up Sarah’s fair skin or the dreamy look on her face.

When the triplets had come over moments ago, frantically waving their arms and told their mama about leaving the Lass down by the Loch Hugh had panicked, especially since he knew damn well Iain would not appreciate finding his wife by the water front.

A million dreadful thoughts had raced through his head and every single one of them ended badly for the Lass.

Iain could be a stone-cold bastard when he wanted to be and Hugh had never seen him angrier than when he had stormed off towards the Loch. His temper could easily sear the most stalwart of opponents and Hugh had worried about Sarah’s ability to cope with the inferno.

Just the prospect of Iain injuring Sarah’s tender feelings had brought him out in a cold sweat. Twas hard to believe the lass could mean so much to him in so short an amount of time, but Hugh loved her as a daughter already and could not stand the thought of any harm coming to her.   

He had been on the verge of going down there himself to shield Sarah from Iain’s wrath, but then he had seen her walking gingerly up the incline and his frantically beating heart had settled.

It was with a good deal of relief that Hugh now watched Sarah as she stood before him smiling.

“I thought I told ye never tae go tae the Loch in the mornings lass,” Hugh scolded, “What ever could have possessed ye tae go down thaer in the first place,”