61 | to start a war

| meliorism |
chapter sixty-one

| meliorism |chapter sixty-one

҉  ҉  ҉

When you grow up in a dark place, you become accustomed to it. You're used to seeing darkness all around, you accept its way; if this where you are now, that's where you'll live the rest of your life. Darkness was consuming, exhausting, mixed feelings of anger, disappointment, sadness, longing for something you never had.

When you grow up having a weight on your shoulders, you tend to drag it with you no matter how good things get. It was a vicious cycle that was brought upon you, one that you were most likely to repeat unless you broke it and got rid of it forever.

Rhena was about to break the cycle.

As her hands gripped the steering wheel, she thought back at her life. She had grown up between different homes, worlds that shaped her into who she was. Bouncing from her aunt's house, to her father to the compound, to whoever would take her. Everyone had given her something to remember, whether it was good or bad, it was a piece of who she was.

Her life was a mess, but so was she. It would only be fitted to go out the same way she came, with uproar.

    The streets were deserted from both ways, of course, no one was taking road trips in the middle of the night. No one was supposed to go out that Tuesday night, many people had work, school, some kind of responsibility, but not her, not anymore. That's why she took the car in the middle of the night when everyone was asleep and began to make her way to the very same place that wrecked her: the compound.

From what she knew, all of them were gone, all but two. After the fight, there was no one left from that place, but that meant there weren't more. That's why she knew the only option was to do what she was good at, burning everything down. She was finally going to be their angel on fire.

Her feet stepped into the gas a little further, going double the speed limit into the ghost street. She didn't even know how long she had been driving, her mind was too busy, too loud. The only thing in her mind was anger, and even though she was not ashamed of it, she was scared of what she could do.

    Soon enough, the familiar area became evident to her eyes, making memories flood. She stopped the car in the nearest place possible and turned it off, sitting there for a little bit. Was she really about to do it?

    She closed her eyes, releasing a shaky breath. Her stomach turned, and she felt just thinking about it. Before any more doubts could enter her mind, she quickly got out of the car, walking into the woods.

With each step, an echo was accompanied. There had been multiple times where she had sneak out of the complex, it was either to go with Klaus, Damon, or to visit her friend who was in the city. She knew those woods by heart, the place where it had seen her at her strongest and weakest.