Chapter-1

Jon's POV

I wake up with a pounding headache and a deep sense of regret to get drunk last night with every living cell in my body. I swear not to put myself through this again, which is total bullshit. Despite the hangover, you always turn to alcohol since you become numb to the outside world. Finally, I get off my bed to start the day. I head to the kitchen feeling much better after a shower. My knowledge when it comes to cooking is very limited. The only thing I make when I enter the kitchen is coffee, which seems to be a task right now since I'm out of milk. Moreover, I have no idea where my Advil is, this headache does not get any better. I decide to make a quick visit to the grocery store to get some milk and Advil.

I get off my chevrolet, and head towards the store. But on my way, I collide with a tiny body.
"Holy fuck" I say, letting the hangover get the worst of me. But then I realize that it was a girl, not older than 10 years. I see her pouting at the ice cream that fell due to our little accident.
"I am so sorry sweetheart, I didn't see you there". I say trying my best to not let her break down, but her face says otherwise. She looks like she's at the verge of crying over the ice cream. A Few moments later, I am working my ass off in pacifying a crying child.
"Please don't cry sweetheart, how about I buy you an other ice cream?" I ask.
"You cannot! the ice cream truck already left" she says in her tiny voice, crying harder. At this point I feel like my head is being hit by a hammer and her cries do not help. By now we've managed to gather people's attention around us and it has become my utmost priority to shut the crying child up . I think of various ways to get her to calm down when a cozy little bakery at the end of the street catch my attention.
"How about I buy you something from that bakery?" I ask her in an attempt to calm her down.
"Really?" She asks me with big,watery eyes. Not gonna lie, but this little one is adorable. I have always adored kids but right now I cannot express my love for them with this hangover.
"Of course sweetheart, it is because of me that you dropped your ice cream after all" I say.
After having a tiny conversation with herself, she decides  to go to the bakery with me . I am thankful that she agreed to come with me, a stranger. But I make a mental note to warn her about being with strangers the next time. I mean you don't just go with a random person who made you drop your dessert. But right now, I need her to cooperate with me.

As soon as I enter the bakery, the sweet smell of cinnamon engulfs me. I see the child looking at the confectioneries with awe. That's when I realize I don't even know her name.
"What's your name, kid?" I ask.
"Lily" she answers without taking her eyes off the sweets.
"Welcome to Sweet Tooth. How may I help you?" A very sweet, gentle voice asks me.
When I look at the owner of the voice, my breath stops, heart starts beating faster, and I feel the pounding in my head being replaced with the melodic voice of the young lady standing before us. She's got long, hazel brown hair which stops at the small of her back. Her emerald green eyes are something I can never get tired looking at. Her plump lips are stretched into a sweet sugary smile which entices me all the more. She's a whole foot shorter than me which makes her figure look slightly plum.
"Can I have those chocolate cupcakes please?" Lily asks the young woman.
I on the other hand have no control over myself. I feel paralyzed. A small tug on my jacket brings me out of my temporary comma and that's when I realize the young lady was talking me.
"And what would you like to have sir?" She asks me with a genuine smile.
"C-coffee will do" I say trying to regain my composure. After placing our order, I take a seat at the corner of the bakery with Lily. I try to indulge myself with Lily by conversing with her. Not only because this little one intrigues me but also to deviate my mind from the beauty I just met. Soon enough, another lady  comes with our order.

****

I didn't get to see the beauty again after our little conversation in the beginning. I wave bye to Lily after dropping her back home. It seems that Lily has an elder brother who is her legal guardian. I didn't have the heart to ask her about her parents since I knew they weren't with her. Being an orphan throughout my childhood has made me realize the pain to be all alone without a parental figure by your side. I decide to head towards my work place since the whole the ice cream incident has got me late for work. I feel slightly better after the coffee. Hence, grocery shopping can wait.