Chapter 4: Pull yourself together!

Chapter 4

Pull yourself together!

>>Carter

“We made a pack,” she continued, “To always be together, because we can’t truly be happy in this town.”

“But if you’re together, why can’t you two be happy?” I found myself asking.

“I-I can’t say. We also made a pack not to tell…”

‘Didn’t that pack include none of you leaving?’ I thought, but didn’t say it out loud.

“It’s alright continue.” I said. I just wanted to get this over with so I can just read in peace.

“Well.. the thing is… our friends were starting to get suspicious of us since we haven’t… you know..”

“No I don’t know sweetheart. You got to be a little more specific.” Of course I knew what she was talking about, but I hated it when people beat around the bush.

“We haven’t had sex!” she snapped a little too loudly for my liking, making me scanned the area to see if anyone heard that. Based on the blank look from others, they didn't, so I turned back to her. “Our friends started to get suspicious, and he got scared his brother and everyone else would find out about what we were really up to. I taught that maybe… just maybe... we weren’t one hundred percent on what we really wanted. So he made plans for us to finish the deal… but that night... we were fools to go against ourselves.”

‘Ok now I’m just confused.’

“He said we should stop what we’re doing, because the only one we’re hurting is ourselves. I’m just scarred, because without him… people might find out! I can’t let that happen I can’t.” she sobbed, wiping the tears away with the rag I gave her, as I awkwardly rubbed her back in a friendly manner.

“What are people going to find out if you’re not together?” I asked. Maybe half the things she said will make sense if I knew what it was.

“.. I- I can’t say.”

“Alright.” I sighed in defeat. None of my business anyways. “Look Genevieve-"

"No... it's fine...."

'I better get out of here.'

“Um.. if you don’t want me to hang anymore I’ll just-” I start getting off the floor, but stopped abruptly by her trembling fingers around my wrist.

“Please don’t leave!” she begged trying her best to not burst into another wave of tears. “I don’t wanna be alone. My friends are calling me names, and saying how dumb I am for letting a guy like that go, when all I’m doing inside is panic. I can’t talk to anybody but him about the truth, but he left me.”

“What are you so terrified of?” I asked sitting back down beside her.

“I... I c-can’t say, but they won’t understand if I tell them! They won’t!” She shakes embracing her knees.

“Genevieve.” I said as my eyes widened in realization.

‘Oh No.’

“They won’t understand! They’ll tell! They’ll hate me!” she screamed shaking uncontrollably, and started to breathe hysterically.

“Hey hey hey stop that. You need to calm down.” I rambled getting in front of her so she’ll see me better. I took her shaking hands in mine as she looked at me with so much fear it was heartbreaking. “Take a deep breath alright.” I inhaled deeply through my nose, and exhaled through my mouth as she mirrored the action a couple of minutes before the trembling stopped.