☆ F O U R T Y ☆

CHAPTER FOURTY; FUCK YOU POLLY!

WHEN TOMMY HAD RETURNED from London, Beth gladly fell back into his arms letting him tell her about everything that happened in Camden Town with Alfie and Beth chose not to tell Tommy of her experience with the woman in the Garrison with Arthur and instead smiled and nodded and simply said, "I tried to read that book you gave me and I spent time with Finn". Tommy was so exhausted he just nodded and went along with it.

They sat in Beth's sitting room, Beth pushed against the corner of the couch, with Tommy sitting between her legs allowing her to play with his hair as he stared into the fire that Beth had lit to keep some heat in her empty home. "I missed you so much." Beth said softly running her hand down Tommy's jawline. Tommy had to refrain from shivering under her touch and instead closed his eyes and hummed tiredly. "I missed you too."

Beth grinned, pushing Tommy's fringe back from his face. "You're so beautiful." Tommy's cheeks slushed a shade of red and his eyes blinked open looking up at Beth in shock. "What?" Beth asked, letting out a small laugh at the man that flushed a dark shade of red looking at her in disbelief. "Are you joking?" Tommy asked softly a small grin on his face. Beth shook her head, a small laugh escaping her lips. "No, you're absolutely stunning Thomas. You're like an angel disguised as the devil."

Tommy let out a small laugh reaching his hand back to trace over her face. "Stop complementing me, you are gorgeous." Tommy murmured. Beth sighed rolling her eyes and went back to brushing Tommy's fringe back. "Whatever you say beautiful."

Later that day Tommy had called a meeting, interrupting Polly's holiday and John had been tasked with doing to fetch her while everyone else waited around. Beth stood with her back pressed to Tommy's chest, his left arm loosely hung around her waist and she closed her eyes in content, Arthur watching with a disgusted look on his face. "Do you two ever leave each other alone?" Arthur mused. Beths eyes fluttered opened and she grinned over at Arthur before leaning back and pressing her lips to Tommy's.

Arthur gagged dramatically and let out a loud laugh, Beth only pulling away when the door swung open and Polly walked in, John following behind her. "This better be good to interrupt my holiday." Polly grumbled. "Where's the boy?" Arthur asked. "In the back room, I only brought him because afterwords we're going to the museum." Polly replied. "He wanted to come in and say hello." John informed. "Shut up John." Polly scolded. "There is nothing of interest to Michael in this room. Tommy get on with hit."

"Except for Beth." John grumbled, Beth holding in a laugh as Tommy stepped away from her, a cigarette between his fingers. "Last night, one of our men had his throat cut in Winston Green. This morning, I had a telegram saying it was Sabani who ordered it." Tommy spoke dryly, eyeing the room around him. "And it says here Thomas Shelby's next." Arthur said, ripping the telegram into shreds.

"If our men think that we cannot look after them in prison, they'll not work for us. Sabani knows that, so we need to get the Green sorted out. Scudboat, you and one of the boys break a couple of windows, get yourselves arrested. And if our coppers get you in the Green, you can find the bastards that did it." Tommy ordered. "Instead of breaking a window can we pinch a car?" Scudboat asked, Beth letting out a small chuckle along with the room. "Everyone elses is getting a car and I'm still on a donkey."

"Alright, just get yourselves fucking arrested." Tommy spat, an unamused expression on his face. "It doesn't matter how. And before you all laugh, a boy is dead. He was just a kid. Well start a fund for his family, Pol." Tommy suggested. Polly nodded. "Agreed." She threw her hands up in agitation. "So is that it? Can I go now?" She asked. "Well as company treasure I need your permission to spend a thousand guineas." Tommy replied. "On what?" Polly questioned, looking at Tommy in shock.

"On a horse." Tommy replied simply. "A thousand guineas on a horse?" Polly elaborated her brown eyes widened in disbelief. "That's right." Tommy nodded. Polly began to pace around the room busy in her thoughts. "When was this decided?" She asked. "You were busy with Michael." Tommy replied bluntly. "Oh my god." Polly spat. "So in the absence of common sense you boys have had an idea?"

"Polly's theres a thoroughbred quarter Arab filly up for auction at the Doncaster Blood Stock." Tommy informed. "Who do we want with a thousand guineas horse?" Polly asked in clear disbelief. "When we make our move on Sabani's racing pitches, any men we get into the betting enclosure will be lifted by Sabani's police. A good racehorse is a passport to the owner's enclosure." Tommy explained. "We'll be in there with all the toffs." Arthur said. "The coppers won't know where to look."

"The Epsom Derby Pol. We'll be drinking with the fucking king." John blurted a happy smile on his face. "The derby? Did he say the derby?" Polly exclaimed looking around. Everyone turned to glare at John, Beth letting out a huff of air in annoyance for his big mouth, John looking away in embarrassment. Tommy cleared his throat. "That's right. For the last ten years, Sabani's made it his race. If we're going to take him down, might as well make it there, as a symbol."

"Did you come up with this idea in a pub by any chance?" Polly asked. "Pol, a good racehorse is an investment. Like property. We need to diversify the portfolio." Tommy said. "So when is this sale?" Pol inquired, shooting Beth a glare as if to ask if she knew of their plans. "Tomorrow." Tommy replied, shooting Beth a glance who turned to glare at him in return. "Excuse me?" She grumbled. "Tommy's has a death threat, so we'll have to go with him for protection." Arthur explained.

"So you're going to close up the shop, go out on a piss-up, blow a thousand Guineas on a horse that's not even whole Arab?" Polly spat in annoyance, making the plan seem stupid. "Quarter Arab is better. Quarter Arab, it means-." Curly began. "Curly shut up." Pol demanded, before her eyes landed on Michael and she glared accusingly at John. "I thought I told you to lock that door." Michael took a few steps farther into the room and shrugged. 

"He did. I used the key on the nail. Look, I've been listening I want to go with them." Michael informed. "You see?" Polly exclaimed, glaring over at Tommy. "I love horses. I could even help." Michael begged, an innocent smile smeared across his face. "Over my dead body." Polly retorted, crossing her arms. "It'll be alright mum. I've been to loads of horse auctions with my uncle. They're very respectable. People bring their butlers."

The room tensed and Beth could tell by the glisten in Polly's eyes that it was the first time Michael had called her mum. "Yeah, and their posh wives." Arthur chuckled. "And their mistresses." John grinned, nudging Michael in the ribs. "Let him go Polly. We'll go there, but a horse and come back." Arthur said, finishing his drink. "I'll drop him back at the house in Sutton before it gets dark." John purposed. "No." Polly spat. "Fucking no."

Beth's eyes softened at Michael who's smile had sunken into a frown. "C'mon Pol, the boys will take good care of him and-." Polly slammed her hand down harshly glaring at Beth. "I said no! You wouldn't understand what it's like to be a mother. You can hardly look after yourself never mind a child." Polly exclaimed waving her hand. "Fuck you Polly." Beth spat, venom in her voice. "Not like you'd know either, you've had your son for a few days and you're acting like mother of the year."

The topic of the miscarriage was still sensitive so when Beth's hand instinctively brushed lightly over her stomach the rooms atmosphere changed.

She glanced over at Tommy with glossy eyes who went to reach for her hand, but Beth scoffed. He couldn't even stand up to Polly. Snatching her arm away, Beth let a few tears began to run as she stormed out of the meeting. John glared over at Polly shaking his head in anger. "What's fucking wrong with you?" He spat, glancing between Polly and Tommy. Polly's hand reached over to cover her mouth slightly in shock at her own words and Tommy stood glaring over at her.

John let out a sour laugh before walking out of the meeting, jogging through the betting shop and catching Beth just as she walked out of the front door. Beth turned to look at John, a frown on her face as she shook her head. "Go away John." John sent her a small smile and reached over wrapping his arm around her shoulder and beginning to guide her onto the streets of Small Heath. "I wouldn't leave you if you begged. Now let's go get some ice cream, eh? I know you like ice cream when your sad."

Beth chuckled reaching up to wipe her tears and cuddled into John's hold. "This is why you're my favourite Shelby."