Volleyball

we left the next morning for the island, right on time as azula had wanted.

'i'm so excited to spend the weekend on ember island. it's gonna be great to hang out on the beach and do nothing.' smiled ty lee as we glided along the water.

i was sitting next to zuko under a red canopy on the boat in the shade.

'doing nothing is a waste of time. we're being sent away on a forced vacation. i feel like a child.' said zuko.

'lighten up.' azula sighed, 'so dad wants to meet with his advisors alone... without anyone else around. don't take it personally.'

'it'll be nice to relax, and we'll be gone in a few days.' i smiled, taking his hand.

'doesn't your family have a house on ember island?' asked ty lee, gesturing to azula.

'we used to come every summer when we were kids.' she replied

'that must've been fun!'

'that was a long time ago.' zuko muttered.

---

we arrived at the coast and left our boat at the docks, just as li and lo greeted us,

'welcome to ember island, kids.' they said in unison.

'well that's not creepy at all' i muttered, getting a small laugh from zuko.

'you don't know the half of it'

they took us up to their - unusually decorated - beach cabin.

it was full of yellows, pinks, greens and beach-inspired patterns.

needless to say, fire nation decorative skills had not progressed.

'it smells like old lady in here.' zuko whispered.

'gee, i wonder why.' said mai.

in the corner of the room was a portrait of two ladies, posing.

'who are these two beautiful women?' asked ty lee, pointing at it.

'can't you tell?' they said in unison, striking the same pose in the painting,

'it's li and me'
'it's lo and me'

ty lee picked up a pillow, 'ooh, i love this seashell bedspread!'

it was disgusting.

'are you serious?' asked mai, 'it looks like the beach threw up all over it.'

li and lo stood in front of us, eerily similar,

'we know you're upset that you were forced to come here this weekend. but ember island is a magical place. keep an open mind.'

'give it a chance'

'and it can help you understand yourselves and each other. the beach has a special way of smoothing even the most ragged edges.'

then, they took off their robes in unison, revealing their swimwear.

'time to hit the beach!'

i put my hand over zukos eyes - not like he'd even have wanted to see them.

---

we got into our own swimwear and went down to the beach. it was full of people but we managed to find a place to put our stuff down.

'can you help me with this?' i asked zuko, just as azula kicked a child's sandcastle down.

he took the beach umbrella and put it up behind us.

boys swarmed around ty lee, hanging on her every word.

'poor ty lee. ' i muttered, 'spirits, id hate to be in her place right now. cant they just leave her alone?'

zuko looked at me, as if he hadnt previously been completely listening.

'dont worry about it' i replied, and he turned back.

we sat underneath the umbrella for a while, watching the waves roll past us.

he picked up a shell from beside us and handed it to me,

'here... this is for you.'

'what did you do?' i asked, assuming it was for an apology of some sort.

'nothing, i saw it and i thought it was pretty.'

'it is pretty, just like you' i smiled, kissing him on the cheek.

'ill be back in a minute' he said, standing up.

get straight to it i guess.

i waited under the umbrella for him to come back, and when he did he had two ice creams in his hand.

'i thought since it's so hot... here.' he said, handing it to me but dropping it.

'yeah ive really cooled down' i said, wiping it off my skirt.

i'd just about got it off when azula shouted, 'hey, beach bums, we're playing next.'

we sighed and followed her over to the volleyball court.

'see that girl with the silly pigtails?' asked azula, motioning for us to get into a huddle, 'when she runs towards the ball, there's just the slightest hesitation of her left foot. i'm willing to bet a childhood
injury has weakened her. keep serving the ball to her left and we'll destroy her, and the rest of her team. dismissed!'

we dispersed around the court and got ready to play.

azula started with the ball and launched it into their side, making them miss.

over and over again, we hit the ball into their side.

they didn't stand a chance.

zuko passed me the ball and i kicked it into the ground easily. only needed to air bend momentarily to get me to the right height.

and luckily no one noticed.

and for the last play of the match, i hit the ball up into the air before it could land next to me and azula ran up zukos back.

she jumped up and kicked the ball as hard as she could into the ground.

as it zoomed down it caught aflame and made a crater in the sand.

'yes, we defeated you for all time! you will never rise from the ashes of your shame and humiliation!' cried azula, smiling manically before turning to us, 'well, that was fun.'

two fire nation boys walked up to us, smirking.

'i'm having a party tonight. you should come by.' said one of them to ty lee

'sure... i love parties!'

'your friends can come, too.' said the other, motioning to me and mai

'what about me and my brother? aren't you going to invite us?' asked azula as they began to walk away, 'you don't know who we are, do you?'

'don't you know who we are? we're chan and ruon jian.' said chan, 'but fine, you're invited. just so you know though, some of the most important teenagers in the fire nation are gonna be at this party so...try and act normal.'

'we'll do our best.'