Campfire

'what do you want from me? you want a teary confession about how hard my childhood was? well, it wasn't. i was a rich only child who got anything i wanted. as long as i behaved... and sat still... and didn't speak unless spoken to. my mother said i had to keep out of trouble. we had my dad's political career to think about.'

'well, that's it, then. you had a controlling mother who had certain expectations, and if you strayed from them you were shut down. that's why you're afraid to care about anything, and why you can't express yourself.' said azula, deliberately annoying her.

'you want me to express myself?' mai shouted, 'LEAVE ME ALONE!'

'can you just STOP IT FOR A SECOND!' i yelled, standing up.

'oh and im sure you had a fantastic childhood.' smirked azula.

'yeah i guess i did. i guess it was just fantastic when i left my family when i was a kid - not knowing if they were alive or not until i found my brother was the fucking avatar. and then he died. and so did everyone else. everyone ive loved. thanks for reminding me princess.'

'calm down, you guys.' said ty lee, 'this much negative energy is bad for your skin. you'll totally break out.'

'bad skin?' said zuko angrily, 'normal teenagers worry about bad skin. i don't have that luxury. my father decided to teach me a permanent lesson on my face.'

'sorry, zuko, i...'

'for so long, i thought that if my dad accepted me, i'd be happy. i'm back home, now my dad talks to me. huh, he even thinks i'm a hero. everything should be perfect, right i should be happy now, but i'm not. i'm angrier than ever and i don't know why.'

'there's a simple question you need to answer then.' said azula as she leaned forward, 'who are you angry at?'

'no one, i'm just angry.'

'yeah, who are you angry at, zuko?' asked mai

'everyone... i don't know.'

'is it dad?' asked azula

'no, no!'

'your uncle?' wondered ty lee

'me?' said azula

'is it me' i said, stepping towards him.

'no, no... no, no.'

'then who? who are you angry at?' i said

'answer the question, zuko.' said azula

'talk to us.' said ty lee

'come on, answer the question.' said mai

'come on, answer it.' said azula

there was silence.

'I'M ANGRY AT MYSELF!' he yelled, throwing his arms down, making the campfire burst into a column of flame.

i turned around and covered myself with my arms to protect myself from it and when i turned back it was back to normal.

'why?' asked azula

'because i'm confused. because i'm not sure i know the difference between right and wrong anymore.'

'you're pathetic.' she said

i walked up to him and put my hand on his shoulder.

'you're not pathetic.'

he turned to me, crying.

'real strength is admitting what you're most scared of'

he stared into my eyes and kissed me, holding my face while i laced my hands through his hair.

then, azula began clapping slowly,

'well, those were wonderful performances, everyone.'

'i guess you wouldn't understand,' said zuko, holding me away from her, 'would you, azula. because you're just so perfect.'

'well, yes, i guess you're right. i don't have sob stories like all of you. i could sit here and complain how our mom liked zuko more than me, but i don't really care. my own mother... thought i was a monster.' she replied, staring into the fire, 'she was right, of course, but it still hurt.'

'what lo and li said came true. the beach did help us learn about ourselves. i feel all smoothed. i'll always remember this.' said ty lee, completely glossing over what azula had just stated.

'you know what would make this trip
really memorable?' said azula, deviously

---

we made our way back to the party and knocked on the door.

'we've got some bad news, chan.' smiled azula

'party's over.'

we swung through the house, knocking over everything and anything we saw.

chan was terrified - good luck explaining this to his dad.

then, azula and zuko torched the place - sending it completely up in flames.

---

i woke myself up late that night.

the sun hadn't risen yet, and everyone in the house was sleeping.

slowly, i crept out of me and zukos bed and put my shoes on.

i packed my bag and took whatever necessities there were in li and los cupboards.

and yes i was "borrowing" but they weren't going to miss it.

opening my bag, i dumped the food and water so i wouldnt get tired on my journey.

i was finally leaving.

and now that i had my air bending back there was nothing stopping me.

quickly, i sprinted outside and looked at the sea one last time.

aang was somewhere out there. and i knew - i dont know how but i just did - that he needed my help.

then i heard a shout.

zuko.

'Y/N? Y/N!?' he called from the steps.

and as he got closer to me i stepped back.

'where are you going?' he said breathlessly, slowly coming towards me.

'i need to leave' i replied, holding a stick up to him like a staff.

he kept walking closer to me though.

'GET BACK!'

he didn't stop.

i wielded the stick in front of me.

i didnt want to hurt him.

i just had to go.

'im not letting you leave' he said, right up at my face.

'you need to' i said, tracing my hand across his cheek.

i felt tears trickle down my face and saw he was crying too.

'but why y/n, just stay - please'

'i need to go.'

he stared at my eyes, looking for a different answer somewhere - anywhere.

i leaned in and he kissed me quickly, before parting.

'i'll miss you'

'i'll miss you too'

and with that, i created a sphere of air around me and sped through the ocean.

with no idea of where i was going.

ill see you soon.