"Call Me Lia"

"It wasn't like this with the others!" Amelia cries out, panic filled eyes engulfing my own. "Theo came out so easy, Cameron, it was so simple. And Mayzie," She sobs, gripping my arm so tightly I can feel her nails through my dress shirt. "She came out so quickly, she was ready."

"I know." I murmur, prying her hand from my arm and kissing it. "It's okay."

"Mr James, if you'll follow me, well get you scrubbed in." The nurse, Amy, standing next to Dr. Kingsley motions for me. "You wife needs to be prepped as well."

"I'm not-"

"Go." My attention is pulled down to my wife. "We'll be alright."

"Okay." I concede. "I'll see you on a few minutes."

I bend to kiss her forehead but her hands come to my neck, pulling my mouth down to hers.

This kiss is different from our recent ones because Amelia immediately takes control of it.

I groan against her lips, feeling her smile.

"I love you."

"I love you too."

"No, Cameron..." She stops her sentence, a look crossing her face. "I-"

"I know you're scared." Swiftly, I kiss her again. "Everything will be okay though. I promise."

It takes her a moment, but eventually she smiles. "Go get scrubbed in."

-

"Ready?" A familiar voice questions from behind me and I turn to see Isaiah in his navy scrubs, looking as if he's also heading into the operating room.

"Is Dr. Caffery not here?" I ask in reference to my children's pediatrician. As mush as I'd like Isaiah to be my children's doctor, Amelia and I felt it best for them to not see family.

"He's already in there. I'm just overseeing my goddaughter's treatment and keeping my wife updated."

"We didn't ask you to be the godfather." I say, walking past him and I to the operating room.

"You want to break that to my wife?" He asks from behind me.

"Isaiah!" My wife shouts from the uncomfortable looking metal operation table. "Cameron and I were talking about you on the way here."

"Must have been why my ears were burning." Isaiah's approaches Amelia, leaning down to kiss her cheek.

"Cameron and I had a question to ask you... and Meghan."

"Just ask me because Meghan is going to be really offended if you actually ask."

My wife laughs, finding her best friend amusing, before reaching out for my hand.

"Will you be Nora's godfather?"

My best friend simply nods with a smile. "I would honored. My wife will be too, her pride just won't let her tell you."

Within the next few minutes the large room is filled with doctors, nurses, and other medical professionals. Each carrying out a specific task that seems to help the room run like a well oiled machine.

Amelia tightly grips my hand as she's given a shot of some numbing medication.

"And momma shouldn't feel anything." Dr. Kingsley yells up, looking up from Amelia's stomach, watching her through the clear drape. She hands off the large needle, before reaching for the scalpel that's being held by a nurse. "Relax, Amelia, everything is alright."

"Look at me." I mutter, my hand stroking my wife's forehead. "We're minutes away from having her." I can feel my smile growing. "Were just going to hear her cry and then she'll be laid on your chest where you'll comfort her."

A weird look crossed her face.

"You're amazing." She breathes, her eyes starting to fill with tears. "How in the world did I get so lucky?"

"I ask myself the same thing." I smile down at her, but the odd loon still covers her face. It's a mix of fear, anxiety, and excitement.

"Your an amazing mother, I promise, don't be scarred."

"Cameron, I re-"

And then the familiar cry of a newborn fills the room.

"Good girl." Dr Kingsley sighs as she lays Nora across Amelia's chest, afterbirth and all. "Let's give mom and dad a moment with bay girl while I fix up Mrs. James." She tells the nurses and they all take a step back.

But I hardly notice. To focused on the small bundle that's nuzzling into Amelia's chest.

Tears are falls from both me and Amelia's eyes.

"She's beautiful. So beautiful." I breathe, kissing Amelia. "Thank you." My voice cracks, clogged with emotion.

"She's perfect." My wife mumbles, staring at our daughter. "Nora, you're perfect."

"I'll take her, and get her cleaned." A nurse approaches, looking for Amelia and I's approval before grabbing our daughter. "And then we can get you all to a room."

"Thank you."

Amelia whimpers when Nora is lifted.

"Quickly, please."

-

"You're just as perfect as your siblings." I whispers to my daughter. Her blue eyes shine questioningly at me as I stroke the peach fuzz growing on her head. "Just like your momma." Amelia is smiling at me through her exhaustion and I look back down at Nora, tightly swaddled in a pink blanket. I watch as her eyes start to flutter closed, her small mouth stretching as she yawns.

"How do you feel?" I ask, watching as Amelia shifts to get comfortable, but freezes with her face scrunched in pain.

"Sore." She responds with a sigh, continuing to push herself to the edge of the bed. "Come lie with me."

Carefully, I stand up, placing a kiss on my daughters forehead before laying her into the hospital bassinet.

Being as cautious as possible, I crawl into the large hospital bed. I settle in next to her and she slowly lays her head on my shoulder. She quiet for a few minutes and I start to think she's falling asleep when she speaks.

"You've been going easy on me." Amelia lifts her head from me chest, just barely. "Holding back." She looks up at me as I frown.

"What do you mean?"

"Are you happy?" She doesn't answer my question, changing the subject.

"I couldn't be happier." I answer her honestly. "You just gave birth to my third daughter, who is healthy, and so are you."

"What did your letter say? The one you wrote that summer?"

"It said a lot." I sigh, thinking of all the times she's asked me in the past, and I always refused. "I was a proud coward and I was sorry for that, but I loved you, and if you gave me a chance I would do whatever I could to keep you happy. " I suddenly laugh out loud. "That letter made me sound like an emotional wreck."

"Cameron,"

"I've loved you for a very long time Amelia."

"Cameron, lover," She whispers, heat soaking through my shirt. "Call me Lia."

And I that moment I realize something. Something I completely missed.

"It wasn't like this with the others!"

"Cameron, I re-"

She's remembering.

She's Remembering Us.

***

Originally Amelia was supposed to have a seizure during birth which would trigger memories.... but I figured our favorite couple has had enough trouble. :)

Epilogue coming soon.