Chapter Eighteen: Your Flame

Leon's POV

The whistle was a peculiar thing. Most of the time, it brought me back to the first day of junior year, but there were times that it didn't. But if there was one thing that I learned, it was that it will always put me in the exact moment before the snowball falls off the hill. There were instances that it had overlapped with other timelines that I have already been to.

Maybe it could be during summer or perhaps smacked in the middle of the school year.

And one of those cases was right now.

When I fell asleep last night, I just gotten news that Avery was found dead with a bottle of pills in her hands.

Today, I knew it was different.

Mom and dad didn't wish me good luck on the new school year and thus, that was my first clue that I wasn't transported back to the first day of school. I checked my school stuff and judging from the way my notebooks already had writings in them, I knew that I was somewhere in the middle of the school year.

But I found my biggest hint when I looked through my school bag. There, in one of the binders, was a pile of notes – more specifically, math notes. Not only that, it was in Avery's handwriting.

I was in my last time jump.

Now I just have to figure out what day it was and why the whistle brought me to this specific moment.

"Hey, P," I greeted Pat when I saw him by his locker.

He stopped from gathering his books, staring at me with that cold intense look. I was slightly confused at the treatment since it was obvious that between us two, he was the more joyful one.

I glanced over my shoulder to check if he was glaring at something behind me, but there was nothing.

Without another word, he closed his locker and started making his way to first period. I scratched my head in wonder because even during scuffles, he would still talk to me. He only acts like when I've done a huge sin to him.

But now that I think about it, was one other time that he gave me this kind of silent treatment. I already had my suspicions but I decided to hold on until I get one more clue.

And that said clue came during third period. Pat and I were sat at the back of the classroom and he was happily talking to the guy seating in front of him, blissfully content with his plan to ignore me the whole day. While I was senselessly scrolling through my phone, a text went in and that was all the confirmation I needed.

Avery Barber: Did you understand everything from my notes?

This was the day Pat asked Avery out in front of everybody. Right after practice, he climbed the bleachers and loudly asked her to a date.

He found out that Avery gave me the notes yesterday, obviously upsetting him, and so he refused to talk to me the whole day. He thought that he had to quickly make a move because he was afraid that she might be interested in me.

Please Pat, even I knew that was impossible.

So does this mean the magic whistle voodoo was telling me to stop them from going out?

There was a major problem with that – I thought this whole time that one of the keys I needed in order to save her was to make sure she and Pat doesn't break up. I've intently studied the pattern from all the times that I have time traveled and I've concluded three reasons as to why I always ended up failing.

One, the incident during the party. It can happen during different occasions, different nights, different houses, and even different men at times.