{2¹} {BIRDSONG}

∆ {2¹} {BIRDSONG} 

SHE DIDN'T KNOW exactly why she'd chosen the countryside. It could be the seclusion, and the peacefulness, but maybe it was the isolation, the fact that no-one would be around except the postman and the milkman, who came at the same time every morning. At the moment, Roxi was trying to fix her bike. There was a problem with the exhaust pipe, it was dented and it was causing issues. Her hands were coated in a thin layer of oil, and she wiped them on a dirty rag that was resting on the leather seat, before putting her hand on the exhaust pipe, and concentrating. The dented metal creaked ever so slightly before pulling out and straightening itself, leaving no sign of the original mark.

It had been about half a year since Thor and Loki had gone back to Asgard and the Avengers had gone their separate ways, and she had been practising since. So far she'd figured out that her powers were related to metal, because she'd tried it on an old door she'd replaced after she moved into her new place, and it had just sat there, rotting slightly with the yellow paint peeling. She'd replaced it with a new one, which was painted lilac. Roxi had moved into a cottage a few miles out from most of the main cities, and it was in a small wood, with a quaint river that trickled through her garden. She'd had to do a lot of work on it, but it gave her something to do and gave her a chance to practise her powers. 

She'd done a good job at hiding herself away apparently, because not even Fury had turned op at her new residence, though she'd received a call from him once, and had exchanged a few words before hanging up quickly enough to ensure that he couldn't trace the call. She stood up and grabbed the cloth off the seat, flicking the light off near the door and walking out of the small garage, and throwing the rag down on a small table in the hall. She picked up one of her phones from the table as she passed, unlocking it and glancing at the news; she liked to keep an eye on things that were happening around the world. She'd ended up buying a few cheap flip phones in case she needed to call someone and didn't want them to find her, she could easily get rid of the phone without it costing her too much money. Nothing had really been happening in the past six months, but recently, there had been news about a terrorist called 'the Mandarin', and her phone showed her another attack by the man, and she frowned slightly. This wasn't good, someone would have to deal with it soon if it didn't go away. 

Roxi made herself a quick cup of tea and drank it while she looked out the window, watching the birds flit from branch to branch, and the way that the sun shone in beams, painting golden dapples on the green grass. It was so quiet. An image flashed in her mind, of opening her eyes to find the aliens around her crumpled on the ground, crushed by their own armour. It was gone as quickly as it came, but it made her head throb, especially her temple where she'd been hit during the battle. It had left a small scar, and the burn on her left forearm was still visible, turning whiter as it too scarred over. Once she'd finished her tea, she placed the mug next to the sink to wash later, her mind otherwise occupied as she wandered out of her back door and down to the gurgling brook that rushed gently through the garden. She sat down next to it, trailing her fingers in the cool water, enjoying the sense of refreshment it brought her, and the way it helped her take her mind off everything. The birds chirped their song to one another, and for a moment, she envied their freedom, the way that they could simply fly and be far from their problems within a few hours, with worries about injuring others. 

After a little while, she stood up from where she'd been sitting on the bank and dusted off her light blue jeans, sending a few ants flying, before she turned around and surveyed the piles of scrap metal she had in the old shed that she'd left open. Most of it was twisted up tightly in strange forms and was beginning to rust. For some reason, she found it harder to control the metal if she'd already experimented with it. She managed to find a few screws, which she tried both unscrewing and screwing in, although she was only successful with the latter. She didn't really have anything else to work with, so she'd have to go on a quick trip over to the nearest scrapyard to try and find some metal that she could wither recycle or add to her stash. It was about half an hour later when she finally got going, with her aviator style sunglasses covering her ice blue eyes, and her leather jacket flowing slightly behind her as she drove. That was another thing she needed to sort out; if she wanted to be able to move around more freely, she would have to change her appearance, at least for the moment.