Chapter 42

Chapter 42

Two Young and Pure Souls

Hindi ko na inalintan ang sakit ng katawan ko mula sa pagbagsak ko. I let my adrenaline dominate me. Kaagad akong tumayo at tumakbo palapit kay Nika na kasalukuyan nang dinudumog ng mga tao. 

“Excuse me! Excuse me!” I almost screamed as I frantically took steps forward Nika. Napansin ko rin na paparating na dito ang mga paramedics ngunit hindi na ako nag-antay pa na makarating sila. 

“Nika? Nika, can you hear me?” I kept on talking to do an assessment about her ability to respond. 

Her eyes were partly open and her lips are quite parted, trying to murmur something inaudible. 

I immediately kneeled down to palpate Nika’s pulse. My heart thumped when I barely felt a pulse. Mahina at mabagal ang mga pagpitik na nararamdaman ko mula sa mga daliri ko. 

In no time the paramedics came, together with an emergency hospital bed. Hinawi namin ang mga tao na nakaharang sa dadaanan namin. When our way was finally clear, sumabay ako sa pagtakbo sa kanila papasok sa emergency room. 

“The patient’s blood pressure is dropping. Her breathing is unstable,” The nurse kept on announcing her vital signs. I borrowed one of the nurses’ stethoscope to detect her heartbeat. Mabagal at mahina na rin ang pagpintig nito. I tried my best to remain intact despite the panic that is rushing through me. 

“Nika, stay with me. You have to stay with me!” I said as me and the whole team kept on doing our parts to save her. 

Her mouth opened again, as if she wanted to utter something but she couldn’t because she’s trying to catch her breath.

Her half opened eyes looked into mine despite her visible struggle. 

“B-Bree…” That was the last word she uttered before she started having cardiac arrest, her heart stopped from pumping. 

“No! No!” I screamed. 

“Cold blue! Cold blue!” A nurse pressed the code blue. 

“‘Yung backboard!” I commanded. The team immediately secured a backboard under Nika. I immediately did chest compressions, trying to help her heart to pump blood all over her body while a nurse used an ambu bag to manage Nika’s airway and while we’re waiting for the e-cart. Come on, Nika! Come on! 

I kept on counting and counting as I kept on giving her chest compressions. You have to wake up, Nika! You’re so stupid! Why did you push me?! Bakit mo ‘ko iniligtas?!

“Doc, we can switch--” 

“NO!” Hinawi ko ang kamay ng isa sa mga team na gustong pumalit sa akin. I’m responsible for this. I’m so desperate to save her that I choose to ignore the ache, lingering on my muscles as I continue the chest compressions.

Pero bakit gano’n?! Bakit wala pa ring nangyayari? I don’t want this night to end, announcing her time of death. Hinding-hindi ko mapapatawad ang sarili ko. 

“Doc, ako na po…” 

Hindi ko siya pinakinggan, kahit nanghihina ako. Kahit ang sakit-sakit na. Kahit panay pa rin ang mga mata ko sa pagluha, itinuloy ko pa rin.

“Nika? Nika!” 

When I heard Ramirez’s voice, that’s when my muscles finally gave in. He immediately pushed me away and then the next thing I saw was him replacing me in my position to give Nika chest compressions. 

His jaw was twitching hard as he began counting, desperately trying to revive Nika. And then I noticed in the pocket of his coat was Nika’s letter. Wala na ito sa loob ng itim na envelope. Iyong papel na nakatupi na lang ang nasa bulsa ng coat niya. Ibig sabihin ay nabasa na niya ito.