37. Another Opportunity in Public Relations

Part 2 of 'A Lesson in Idiocy'

(997 words)

Peanut stood in the shadows of the unisex locker-room watching Draco with concern. He was sitting on one of the benches, unaware of her presence. The darkness made his hair whiter, his skin paler, his anger more palpable. He'd already punched one of the lockers, denting the door. She really hoped it was Dawlish's; the man was a wanker.

She sighed in relief when Harry came in and sat next to Draco, shoulder-to-shoulder. He took Draco's hand, unusual between male platonic friends but then Harry was so unaware sometimes.

'You were amazing, Malfoy' he said as he wandlessly healed Draco's knuckles. 'You ran circles around Dawlish.'

It confirmed a feeling she'd had for a while, that Harry had been hiding his wandless abilities, that, and the Legilimens connection he had with Draco.

'That's not much of an accolade, Potter. Anyone could run circles around him, he's an idiot...'

'Robards's pulled him into the office.'

Peanut smiled; at last, an overdue reprimand.

'I'm never going to be allowed to forget my past, am I?' Draco said.

'None of us can, Malfoy.' Harry was distractedly playing with Draco's slender fingers. 'But our journeys make us who we are. Yours made you stronger, more inclusive, a fighter. And you were amazing because you stood up, not just yourself, but for all the people Dawlish silences.'

Peanut couldn't help nodding. She smiled as she saw their fingers interlace.

'Thank you, Potter,' Draco muttered.

Harry turned his head to look at Draco. He stared for a while at the blond man's profile until he shook himself from his reverie. 'Come on, Malfoy, we'll miss the leaving do.'

Emilé was joining the Paris Auror division and Sakura had a job in the training department, continuing as Sensei as well as helping with the new recruits. Peanut was going to miss her.

Change was happening at Grimmauld Place too. Nev and Hannah were moving to the quarters above the Cauldron and Blaise was officially moving in. It made her so happy that they were progressing onto the next stage in their relationship.

But it had planted a seed about change in Peanut's head too.

'You go on ahead,' Draco said. 'I need to shower.'

Harry gave a lop-sided smile. 'I'll wait, otherwise you'll sneak home. And just cast a Scourify, you look fine like that.'

Draco wrinkled his nose.

Peanut snuck out and Apparated ahead.

When she got to the Cauldron, it was already packed. Nev was behind the bar helping Hannah and it appeared the entire department was there, much to the discombobulation of the regulars whose quiet dull space had been taken over by the DMLE.

When Harry and Draco walked in, Angelina shouted, 'IT'S OUR HERO!' and started to clap.

Peanut joined in with Cho, Sakura, and Laura. And then the rest of the Aurors too with copious wolf-whistles from Ron.

Draco blushed and tried to back away, but Harry placed a hand on his back and pushed him forward, saying, 'no, not allowed! You fought a worthy battle today. I told you, you're a good spokesperson for others too.'

The Aurors let Draco through to the bar, some patting his back on route.

Nev slid a Butterbeer across to him. 'On the house,' he said with a beam. 'Two knuts for you, Potter.'

Draco laughed for the first time since they'd finished their PT.

Robards was there too. Later, he cornered Harry and Draco as the impromptu party got into full swing.

Peanut hovered nearby, intrigued.

'I've been thinking,' Robards slurred. 'About what you said to me that time, Harry. About Malfoy being a good face for how the Ministry's moved forward since the war.' He was waving his hands around. 'I think we should arrange an interview with Witch Weekly or something, the two of you, and if Malfoy can say something like he said today, we're on a winner...'

She saw Harry blanch, but then PR obligations always ran him ragged.

'I'll organise it,' Peanut interjected, sitting down.

'What?' Harry looked surprised.

'You already need a Personal Assistant to organise you and gatekeep the press. I'm putting myself forward. And I'll lay my cards on the table, I want in with the elite squad, but I don't think I'm suitable for the job. I love the Aurors, and this is an opportunity which keeps me there but off the frontline. I'd be perfectly happy to step away into a PA role. Only for you, mind.'

'But Peanut, you're one of my best,' said Harry. 'You've got a superb career ahead of you as an Auror.'

'Yes, Harry. But just because I'm a fighter, doesn't mean I'm the next Hermione. And, honestly, I don't want that. I just want to make a difference in my own way and doing something I love. I've known you since we were eleven: I know what you've been through, I understand your life then, I understand the department now, I understand what you face daily. I'm what you need, a PA who understands. I'm efficient and, let's face it, no one will mess with me. I can help you set up the elite squad, keep you organised, and bat off the inane gutter press. You wouldn't need to worry about the PR, just occasionally turn up for meaningful interviews, do the photos, and get back to normality. Selfishly, it would keep me in the privileged position of your inner circle.'

Harry looked stunned but relieved.

Robards nodded slowly, 'come and talk to me in the morning, Dunbar.'

She smiled. This felt right.

She saw Harry and Draco look at each other, smiling softly, oblivious to the fact that their undisclosed feelings were so apparent to those who knew them. She could manage that too. It would need careful handling with the press for she didn't want them turning against Draco, accusing him of Imperiusing the 'Saviour' or some such nonsense.

She felt her shoulders drop. Yes, she could do this, and the prospect excited her.

*****