thirty-six

𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗧𝗛𝗜𝗥𝗧𝗬-𝗦𝗜𝗫
( 𝘎𝘖𝘖𝘋𝘉𝘠𝘌. )

THE FEAR OF DEATH IS SOMETHING THAT PLAGUES EVERY MIND

THE FEAR OF DEATH IS SOMETHING THAT PLAGUES EVERY MIND. Or is it the fear of no longer existing? We come into the world, so what is it that terrifies us of leaving it? Some find it peaceful- the idea of returning to the Earth from whence we came. Others find it chilling. Perhaps it is the uncertainty. But in this world where the dead walked, everyone knew what happened when one passed from the world of the living. They turned. Because of that, the fear of death only grew. So, how do you escape this cycle of despair and doubt? You must take every day one step at a time. You must take each breath as if it was your last, because it could be.

Back home, in Alexandria that night, everyone was better preparing for taking on the herd in a few days. The walls that would be used to steer the walkers away were up a few miles south. The plan was laid out, and all that was left was to run through it the next day... and mentally prepare. The Alexandrians were about to face the biggest threat of their lives, and it seemed completely hopeless. It was literally life versus death. Life rarely won. But when facing the curtains of darkness, do you submit... or do you fight?

That question seemed straight forward to Murphy and the others. But even though everyone had lost something in the apocalypse- whether that was their old way of life, or something much, much more- those who had lived in Alexandria for the last few years were oblivious. Rick's group knew that submission was not an option. Ignorance was a privilege they could no longer afford. You had to fight for your life, otherwise you wouldn't have a life left to fight for. In time, the Alexandrians would realize that. The question was what that callowness would cost them until they did.

The community was bustling while the evening sunset melted the sky into hues of red and orange. The air was humid, sweat running down everyone's skin in the hot Virginian summer climate. Murphy was in the infirmary, getting supplies and kits ready for the different teams that would head out in two days' time. She bit her lip as she scribbled up a list of materials on a notepad. She huffed, set the pad of information down on the seat beside her, and stuck the pencil in her tied back hair. She was overwhelmed, but she liked being busy, especially if it meant helping others.

She took a plastic bag and began loading it with important supplies- gauze pads, cleansing wipes, bandages, tweezers, anything that might be of use in case someone was injured. As she set them in one by one, the door to the infirmary opened to reveal the man she'd wanted to have a conversation with for a while.

"Hey, Murph," Abraham greeted, gently closing the door behind him.

"Hey!" Murphy replied, a tinge in her voice of both surprise and happiness. "What's up?"

"Well, I... uh- I'm here on account of two reasons, and two reasons only," he sternly stated.

Murphy raised her brows in anticipation.