thirty two.

"Happy birthday, Ms

"Happy birthday, Ms. Etta," Na'imah smiled widely, laying down a fresh bouquet of pink peonies at Etta Mae's tombstone. Today—September 3rd, was his grandmother's birthday and he'd been on edge all week. Every birthday that passed without her here was a hard one for Yasir.

The few days leading up to it, he'd been trying to get a hold of himself but the dormant sadness in him reawakened, and he couldn't help it. He'd been sleeping, but less. He'd eat, just not as much and everyone knew it wasn't as bad as before, but it was still a very hard time for him, mentally.

"Me and Yasir been talkin' about you a lot lately, I jus' know you the reason my boy got a good heart. He wanna be like you," she expressed while Yasir held her hand tightly. "I would'a love ta' meet you but I know you watchin' over him so you see me too, an' I hope I'm treatin' yo' baby alright," she said, rubbing her thumb over his hand.

Yasir stared ahead of him, placing his flowers down by Na'imah's, trying his best to find the right words without crying. The last thing he wanted to do was cry.

"H-happy birthday, Mawmaw. I'on really um...I'on know why dis don't ever get easier fa' me, comin hea' on your birthday. I miss you an' I love you. Thank you fa' everything you eva' did fa' me, and everything you was gon do. I'm hopin' you up there chillin' wit' angels and allat," he managed a chuckle.

He sighed to himself, and Nana laid her head on his shoulder, making sure he knew she was there for him. "And thank you fa' sendin' me peace of mind too, I can't neva' thank you enough fa' ha'," he continued, and she smiled.

She heard him sniffing, and she glanced up at him, she could see the tears brimming his eye. "It's okay, Papa," she spoke softly to him. "You ca' cry, baby, it's just me," she assured him, rubbing his arm. He nodded his head at her words, letting one or two fall.

"I just miss her," he said barely above a whisper, wiping down his face and Nana stood—since he was so tall even as they sat—and held his head to her body while he cried.

"I know baby," she rubbed his head. "I know,"

Later on in the day, Yasir was sleeping, thankfully

Later on in the day, Yasir was sleeping, thankfully. Na'imah took it upon herself to clean up, take the dogs on a walk and start dinner.

"Mommy is so happy y'all get along!" she cooed as Gutta entered the kitchen with Bambi on his tail. "Y'all so cute! Lemme get y'all some treats," she giggled as he got excited.