52 | in love and war

When Gray asked me if I was up for an adventure, I assumed that we would be going on that adventure together. Two days later, I follow Gray's instructions and wait outside my house at 8 am. To my surprise, Gray is not waiting for me.

At 8:06 am, a strange car rolls up. The driver stops next to me and rolls down the window. He hands me a white envelope and drives away without a word. Perplexed by this strange occurrence, I tentatively tear open the letter while standing in my driveway.

The note is cryptic, to say the least.

Where I first truly saw you.

I flip the letter over, hoping for further instructions, but I find nothing. As confusing as this letter is, excitement wells up in me at the prospect of what seems like a scavenger hunt. It's definitely not what I expected, but the hope for seeing Gray at the end of this is enough to propel me back inside my house. I grab my keys and a light jacket, then head to my car.

All the while, I turn the message over in my head. Where I first truly saw you. How should I know the exact place where he first laid his eyes on me--

Oh, shit.

I know exactly where Gray wants me to go. As I drive, I almost laugh at how obvious the location is. Exhilaration courses through me as I wonder what the hell could be waiting for me.

My high school's field is empty when I arrive. I pull the car into a parking space and look around, searching for any trace of Gray's presence. I get out of the car and walk onto the field, craning my neck to look around. Scanning my surroundings, all I see is green grass and swaying trees.

Nothing. I start to worry that I've gone to the wrong place. But this should be the place; this is where I was playing soccer when Gray said he first noticed me.

I think back to what Gray said the day of my birthday when he told me the story of the first time he saw me.

You were on the field playing soccer with some girls. You looked like you were having the time of your life. God, Riv, you were a fucking stranger but I was captivated by you.

Where I first truly saw you.

You were the most amazing sight.

Where I first truly saw you.

Once you thought you were alone, I watched you start to cry.

Then it hits me. With a breakthrough smile on my face, I walk back into the parking lot but don't get back into my car. I turn around in a full circle, seeing things from Gray's perspective. Standing here in the parking lot, I'm in the same position that Gray was in when he saw me break down in my car.

This is where he first truly saw me. Pulling off my mask and revealing my true self.

From this point of view, a flash of white catches my eye, barely visible from the edge of the parking lot. I jog over, doing my best to contain my excitement. And there it is. Bingo.

It's not Gray himself, but it makes my heart stammer nonetheless. A single white rose laying across another creamy white envelope. I pick both items up with swift hands, taking a second to smell the rose before opening the envelope.

Expecting to find just another cryptic message, I'm pleasantly surprised to find two slips of paper inside the envelope. Taking the more worn piece of paper out first, it takes me a second to decipher the rushed writing. My mouth almost drops in surprise open when I do.

DETENTION SLIP
Name: Grayson Maddox
Date: 5/1/18
Offense: skipping class
Report to the cafeteria after school. Be prompt.