Chapter 21

Finn woke up with a jolt. Green and grey images chasing him into consciousness.

Shuffling towards the bathroom he tried to shake the memories the dream elicited. Emily in her green dress. Grey eyes boring into him. The red veil that descended when she left with Max.

Spite had reared its ugly head. Finn decided if she could leave with another man, then he was going to move on as well.

It had been a mistake.

As if they were faced with a ticking time bomb, the brunette clinging to him on the dance floor had dragged him into a cab. In the backseat purple painted nails tugged at his jeans, pink stained lips sucked at his skin. In the past, Finn could easily give in to the desires of this woman. Meaningless sex satisfying an immediate need for the numbness to descend.

This time it was different. This time it was all wrong. She was the wrong woman. Numbness no longer held the same appeal. He wanted to feel something. Like he had in the hospital room for a few brief moments. The warmth. The tenderness. The desire. He wanted Emily. Despite the offered easy lay, Finn walked the brunette to her door making sure she got home safely but refused to come in.

Back at base, he had paced the common room, drinking beer and flicking bottle tops across the room in anger. Tension coiled in every muscle. Trying not to imagine where Emily was, what she was doing, who she was doing it with. It was a losing battle.

Eventually, he sought refuge in his room, knowing sleep would elude him, but hoping beating on his pillow might help. Or crying into it. He must have drifted off, launching into a strange dream where Emily twirled before him, trying to tell him something. A thick wall of glass separated them, blocking out any sound. Finn woke up with a heavy heart and a massive erection, visions of a green dress the cause of the latter.

Letting the water pulse over his strained muscles, Finn dealt with his morning present in the shower, a strangled groan emitting from him as he ejaculated to the memory of Emily's smile. Leaning against the shower wall to catch his breath, Finn tried to find the calm he needed to meet the day.

He had to get away from Emily. It was the only solution. It had worked before. It would work again. Determination set it. Speaking to his CO to get in the next rotation out of the country was today's priority. He did not care where it was going. The worse, the better.

Trying not to think of Max, his usual dining companion, Finn quickly ate breakfast before heading to the administration building. He filled out the required paperwork requesting active duty and submitted the forms. After giving his testimony the day after tomorrow he would be free to leave. 

Mentally groaning, Finn did not know how he was going to be able to face Emily at the tribunal. Maybe he could speak to Lance, ask him to find a reason for Emily not to be there. Shaking his head, he knew It was futile. No one knew the case like Emily. He was going to have to see her. One last time.

Then there was Max. How could he avoid him? He was a member of the team. A valuable member. His friend. How could he face him? Be happy for him? The thought caused the red veil to blur his vision again. He hated how he was being petty.

Heading for the gym, Finn decided to beat something up for a few hours.

After another shower, this time to ease his aching muscles, Finn locked himself in his room. Campbell had texted, asking him to join them for a barbeque, but Finn had declined the invitation. His buddy may be used to his foul moods, but there was no need to subject his wife and kids to the maelstrom. Besides, Finn doubted he could stand the front row seat to the happy couple show Campbell and Lily presented.